Need vegan dish ideas for Creole themed dinner.?

Have been informed my brother is bringing his new vegan girlfriend to the annual family gathering on New Year's Day. I would like to make a few vegan friendly dishes to go with our meal. We are a rather carnivorous group. We like our meat and often use it as an ingredient or even as a flavoring (bacon drippings or fat back in greens or green beans, etc.).

A traditional new year meal will have always include a few ingredients: pork, cabbage, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, apples. How these are cooked varies, but are always present. Additional dishes depend on the whims of the cook. It is a family effort with everyone providing a dish around a theme. This year we are going with Creole/Cajun.

And yes, the girlfriend will be helping with the cooking, but I would like to have more than one or two dishes that she can enjoy.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • The vegetable dishes into which you drip animal fat can be made without it, of course. Or you can make some with and some without. A smidge of olive oil for frying and a splash of lemon juice and a splash of tamari will make some pretty tasty wilted greens.

You can make stews and casseroles without the meat or with a vegan analogue. If you want to make a dish with sausage, there are vegan sausages out there; Tofurkey makes excellent vegetarian "sausages" in various flavors. There's a brand called Sophie's Kitchen that has vegan "seafood" items.

Instead of butter, use Earth Balance margarine. All their varieties are suitable for vegans. You can make a buttermilk substitute by putting 1 tsp of vinegar in a cup of soy milk. Instead of chicken broth, use vegetable broth. If a recipe calls for beef broth, mushroom broth will work here.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

You can make most traditional Cajun/Creole dishes with veggie broth and no meat, no tasso, andouille or bacon fat, there are vegan meat substitutes that can be used Soya based ones, ask her which ones she eats, I have made a Gumbo with them and even an Etouffee with a soya based item and soya smoked sausage product that has very nice flavour

• 6 years ago

Vegan cornbread.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

make sure that if shes vegan she dont eat healthy cuz even tho she may be vegan dont mean she just eats anything vegn i for example am vegan and dont eat anything cooked ever...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.