Should the United States ban 3D printed guns?

The arguments would be that these guns can make it passed a metal detector and it's very hard to enforce a background check on them.

Update:

Dreaded Rear Admiral: It sounds like the worst result would be that the law is just ineffective. Joe citizen doesn't need the 3D printed gun since he can just by a metal gun. If the law is enforced at least some of the time then I don't see why it wouldn't have some net benefit.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

How would you enforce that? The 3D plan can be downloaded from the internet or designed from scratch. How would you prevent it? Even if you COULD require 3d printer makers to make their products unable to do this (which you probably couldn't without ruining the value of 3d printing for industrial use). In such a case though, hackers would make programs to remove such protection.

Passing a law you can't enforce is worse than not having the law because only the law-abiding will obey it, by definition.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

I'm not sure how this will be enforced.

If they are banned, Joe Citizen isn't going to risk his job, family and life dabbling on that side of the law. Criminals, of course, will print them by the dozen.

End result: no decrease in crime.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

As far as I am aware of these would not be practicle and could not be constantly used like a real fire arm could be used, but they could make it illegal to create and make any kind of weapon. It would be difficult to enforce however. There is another issue like making rifling inside the barrels which increases the speed they spin and the volocity it would come out of the barrel. It wouldn't have the same impact value a real fire arm would have. But most of this is simply my opinion.

• The exact same question in every respect:

"Should the United States reserve 3D printed guns for felons?"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

No, less people lowers gas prices. Lol

• 5 years ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.