Is it safe to take my high mileage car on a road trip?

Hey guys. I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala (base model) with about 194,000 miles on it. I will be taking a road trip to Chicago on New Years Eve and the trip itself roundtrip will accumulate about 400 miles. I have new brakes and rotors, my oil was changed at 190,XXX using Mobil 1 Synthetic, and I just got my lock system and ignition replaced. The car runs just fine, but im just really paranoid something could happen as I have no other vehicle. I am getting my two front tires replaced because they are balding. Any procedures I should take to make sure she lasts the trip? I drive about 2000 miles a month.

• Kurt T
    Best Answer

200,000 miles isn't all that high anymore. And 400 miles isn't really all that far. do have all your fluids checked and don't forget to check your spare tire..Don't wait until the week before you leave to do the maintenance.If the shop finds anything,you want time to address it. Also if they make a mistake,you will find that. If You drive 2000 miles a month,400 miles is less then you drive in a week.Is your car in good enough shape to drive it next week? About the only things I can think of that you haven't mentioned ,Would be to check that all your lights are working,and I would install new windshield wiper blades.Make sure your antifreeze is good for sub zero temps. Bring along a cell phone,because pay phones are pretty rare anymore.Know the route you will take before you leave,if the weather gets bad,the street signs are usually splattered and hard to read. Your only looking at 4 hours each way,tops.Enjoy Chicago's beautiful winter weather!

Source(s): Been driving beaters for over 40 years!

I wouldn't think twice about taking the trip. You have a vehicle that can easily be worked on anywhere if something goes wrong.

If you have no symptoms of problems the only thing else I might be concerned about is the health of the battery if it's been in the car for a long time.

Potential weather seems like a greater limiting factor than your auto. It has a big trunk. Make sure your comm is good (cell phone or whatever). Make sure you have road flares, coats, blankets and some food and water and you'll be fine.

• Kurt

Take the car to Chicago. You are maintaining the car properly so it should be fine. Before you take it there do one last check on the fluids and everything. Keep in mind your car has high mileage so it could possibly break down on the trip. Any car can break down on a long trip for that matter but more so with a older and higher milage one. If you are really that worried about it making the trip you might want to consider renting a car. It will cost a lot more but all you have to do is put gas in the car.

Oil and tranny fluid change right before the trip would be good especially if the transmission fluid has not been changed along with new filters. Have a mechanic check it out if you are really concerned. Better to be safe than riding a bicycle in the snow!

Throw in a coolant change (flush and fill). Chicago can get mighty cold on 31 December. 400 miles is not a long road trip.

Replace the generator, water pump, and battery every 4 yrs whether they are bad or not.

thats something u may want to ask ur dealer beacuse they will be responsible depending on their answer

Sounds like you have it covered.