In making the Louisiana Purchase, Pres. Jefferson was acting according to:?

a. the mandate model

b. the restricted model

c. the stewardship model

d. the two presidencies thesis

(Also, if you could give a brief description of each answer choice that'd be awesome!)

Update:

Thanks for telling me to research this! Didn't think to do that.

I've looked in my book, and looked online and none of these models have specifics.

But thanks for the support and sarcasm you guys, you're the best.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Most likely the stewardship. Here is a definition from wiki:

"In American politics, an example of the stewardship theory is where a president practices a governing style based on belief they have the duty to do whatever is necessary in national interest, unless prohibited by the Constitution.[3]"

And a couple of arguments to show that the purchase indeed overlaps with this notion:

"He believed that making a land acquisition may require a covering amendment. The Constitution did give the president treaty-making power, so the United States Senate ratified the Louisiana Purchase into law as a treaty."

"Although the purchase was thought of by some as unjust and unconstitutional, Jefferson believed there was no evidence of unconstitutional actions taking place during the purchase of what became fifteen states."

"Some viewed Jefferson's decisions on issues as inconsistent and executed on the spur of the moment. He did not want foreign interference with American business. He personally opposed slavery and felt all men should be equal and that all people have natural rights."

"The historian James Loewen is among those who assert that the United States purchased only France's claim to the Louisiana Territory, as the land belonged to the tribes who inhabited the area. "

the presidencies thesis suggests that presidents are either interested in domestic or foreign policies(primarily) which isn't true for him. He supported embargo on haiti for example and the sale itself was both a domestic and foreign issue - by giving so much money to Napoleon

Jefferson knew that he is funding the war against his adversaries: the britons. The mandate model is no option either as the key motivation there is the party as a whole and shifting the focus from one single Leader, ironically you can adapt such model better to dictatorships such as

the soviet union, DRKP, or the roman senate historically - in such societies the leader has huge power but the party/senate/group of people usually has huge ,often underestimated, power, strong enough to remove the leader. You can also remove the restricted model from the options. Last but not least historians disagree if the sale was constitutional or not - so...not sure why are your teachers expecting an answer for something which is yet to be determined...unless they're hoping for you to be a pioneer and find an answer that most people accept?

• 7 years ago

The highway robbery model.

• 7 years ago

a. the mandate model

• ?
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

I'm pretty sure your teacher gave you a book.

I know you're not illiterate

You're a smart girl.

READ.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • YRU4IT
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Don't wanna research your homework assignment eh?

• 7 years ago

Nobody knew.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.