promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is the best wilderness survival book you have read so far?

one that would actually work in the wilderness, it seems most books just don't seem to have what is required name me some good ones please that you have used and survived with

Update:

oh i see innuendom i had no idea they had taxis in the wilderness

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Complete Walker IV by Colin Fletcher ( now deceased ), and Chip Rawlins. It has many tips the "average" person can use to be comfortable and survive in the woods. It's meant for hikers, but serves as a guide for anyone who treks into the woods or wilderness, on how to best prepare for any length of a trip in order to return safely. There are now better materials available for clothing and tents than is listed in the book, but the ability to navigate, procure potable water, build a shelter if necessary, obtain food from the land if necessary, and start a fire in any conditions, is very useful for nearly everyone. This isn't a "survival" book that pertains to the survival adventures you see on the television, but those situations usually involve professionals who are trained in survival techniques for use anywhere in the world, not the average person who goes for a hike in the wilderness, or just gets lost while out hunting or fishing in an unfamiliar area. If you venture outdoors prepared for anything that can happen, you will survive most problems you may run into.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Ksmike
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

"The Long Walk". Several escape a Russian gulag and walk south, through China, to safety in India. Supposed to be a true-story from WWII era.

"Kon-Tiki". A bunch of Scandanavians (Norwegians with a Swede?) take a raft and cross the Pacific in the late 40s.

"The Truce" by Primo Levi, is the best holocaust escape and survivor book I 've ever read.

And the best one, IMO, is "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing. It's about Ernest Shackleford's escape from his "traversing Antarctica" quest.

Unbelievable good.

• 6 years ago

A Land Remembered. May be best book I have ever read. Takes place in early central Florida, but what a great story.

• Hyder
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

Life of Pi,127 hrs

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

The phone book. It has taxi numbers, hotels and takeaways. It's never failed me

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

the best holocaust escape and survivor book I 've ever read.

• ?
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

None. There is no substitute for actual practice.

LISTENING TO BEAR GRYLLS WILL GET YOU KILLED.

• 6 years ago

All the books & shows about (by) Bear Grlls.....!!

• none

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.