Deer hunting rifle question.?

I'm going to purchase a deer hunting gun to be used for deer hunting here in the states. My research tells me the .30-06 or the .270 would be a good choice. I know I can get many different grain bullets for either of these calibers but my concern is if I buy a .270 will I lose some of the speed, muzzle velocity, distance, etc because there will be less powder to push the bullet.

My question is, "Does the .270 have the same casing as the .30-06?

• august
    Favorite Answer

You're a little confused, bub.

.270 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield do not have the same casing, but they're based on the same casing. They're both based on the .30-03 casing, which was used by the US Army for about three years, until it was realized that a spitzer-type bullet (i.e. pointed bullet) was a better choice, and the rifles chambered for .30-03 were pulled from service, the barrels shaved down and rechambered for the new .30-06 cartridge, and put back into service.

.270 Winchester has a casing that is ever so slightly longer than .30-06 Springfield, as a result. The .270 Winchester casing is 0.05" longer than the casing as a .30-06 Springfield, with essentially the same powder capacity.

That means that, since the powder capacity is basically the same, a lighter bullet from a .270 Winchester will actually be FASTER and potentially have a slightly longer range than .30-06 Springfield.

However, if you load a 150gr bullet into a .30-06 Springfield, and a 150gr .270 Winchester and fire each one, the trajectory will be less than 1/2" different at 300 yards. In other words, given the same bullet weight, the two rounds are almost identical in performance- they'll basically land bullets in the same grouping. There's a negligible difference in muzzle energy, 2830 foot-pounds vs 2700 foot-pounds, approximately, which no game animal will notice. And at longer ranges, past 450 yards (a distance that is much too far for hunting, anyway) the .270 Winchester actually retains more energy due to a bullet with a higher ballistic coefficient.

So really, there's no argument as to which is better for deer hunting. They're so close as to be identical in the real world.

The .270 Win. is a .30-06 necked down to .277'' and is available with bullets up to 150 grain, whereas the .30-06 is a .308'' and is available with up to 240 grain. The .30-06 wins for versatility on larger game, but if whitetail class game is going to be your sole pursuit, the .270 is just fine. The .30-06 is a great deer round as well so it will be equally as good. And as for the part about loosing speed, they're very close. Actually, if you look at a ballistics table with both cartridges shooting 150 grain bullets, you'll notice the .270 is a tad slower out of the muzzle (nothing any animal on earth will notice). That is because the .270 is actually less efficient due to the smaller bore diameter. They burn the same amounts of powder, but the more you neck an existing round down to a smaller caliber, the less efficient it becomes. Take a look at the .308 Win, 7mm-08, .260 Rem, and .243 Win for example. Flip a coin, then still buy the .30-06. Not bashing the .270, but in case bigger game will be pursued, the .30-06 is the one I'd rather have in my hands.

The 270 is "sort of" the same case;the 270 was based on the 30-03 which evolved into the 30-06 (1906 when adopted) and the 270 has a slightly longer case so it doesn't seat in a 30-06 chamber. As for performance,it depends on what grain bullets and what powders you have loaded. A 150 grain 270 is going to be a little slower than a 165 30-06,but will still have great sectional density and BC numbers.

For deer,either will work just fine,for elk,bear,moose I would go with 30-06 for mass/energy on target. Terminal performance comes into play too,seen both take elk equally well with premium bullet loads but you can use lesser bullets for just deer. I regularly suggest 270 as the quintessential deer cartridge.

• Mr.357

The .270 and .30-06 both use the same case. Since the .270 bullet is lighter so typically it goes faster. But with a .270, you are only applying pressure to a circle with a diameter of .277" while the pressure created by the burning powder in a .30-06 is applied to a circle .308" in diameter so more energy is applied to the bullet in a .30 caliber. P.S. The amount of powder when using smokeless powder doesn't really have anything to do with it. There are at least 107 different powders and all have somewhat different uses.

The 270 is actually faster at the muzzle by an average of ~200 fps at the muzzle, but it has less weight to back it up. I'd say 30-06 in your case. But, both are enough for medium and big game. A 130 grain 270 can kill an elk just like a 180 grain 30-06 can. In the end, I'd say pick the one you feel the most comfortable with. Go to your local sporting goods sections/stores and feel them out, see which ones are comfortable. Remember that both these guns are going to pack a wallop, more so the 30-06.

Yes they use the same case. 270 will require a longer barrel to get full velocity since the same powder charge with a smaller neck takes longer to burn up. 06 handles larger bullet and makes a larger hole but also recoils more and doesn't shoot as flat. In the end not much difference between the two. Was always told if you intend to mostly hunt deer sized game get the 270 if you will hunt larger game often get the 06/

As I answered on a different question, the .270 is more than enough for most big game in the CONUS. With at least an 85gr round, you can take elk and moose with it in Colorado, and a 70gr is all that's required for deer, pronghorn and bear. A .243 will also take everything up to an elk as well, but I wouldn't use it for anything larger than a deer personally. The .30-06 is a good round, but the .270 is just as efficient of a killer, but will have less drop.

As for the casing, as it was explained to me, the .270 is "essentially" (not exactly, but close enough) a necked down 30-06, and the .243 is "essentially" a necked-down .308. So in the case of a .270, you would have about the same amount of powder to push a smaller bullet. Example:

Cor-Bon T_DPX 168gr 30-06: 2900fps and 3138ft/lb energy

Cor-Bon T_DPX 110gr .270: 3450fps and 2908ft/lb energy

Cor-Bon T_DPX 180gr 30-06: 2750fps and 3023ft/lb energy

Cor-Bon T_DPX 130gr .270: 3100fps and 2775ft/lb energy

So as you can see in that simple example, the .270 is faster, but has a little bit less energy. But you can get a .270 load with over 3000ft/lb energy in a 110gr round no less. But in reality, looking over the chart on ballistics101.com, most 30-06 have a muzzle energy of 2700-2900ft/lb, which is about what most .270 have. It's apples to apples in power, but the .270 will have less bullet drop at longer ranges.

Yes, they're basically the same case. And no, you won't lose velocity or range. 270 is the classic flat-shooting, long-distance deer cartridge in the US. And you can do with less, without giving up any practical capabilities in deer hunting.

Ok if your question is are they the same case the answer is no. They are both offspring of the 30 03, and share some traits, such as shoulder diameter and rim diameter but thats about it as far as case, 30 06 is my choice for all medium to large game ammo is plentiful

both are fine calibers. for best accuracy the .270 prefers 130-140gr bullets as the 30-06 160-172gr. these both come from the same parant case but are slightly different.