Why does my civic bog down when i give gas?

So on my b18a1 the car will turn on just fine. The car idles at 1.5 rpm and makes no crazy sounds. The weird thing is i can accelerate 1-8 rpm just fine if i do it continously, but if i rev it up to lets say 4 rpm and hold it there it will just bog down to 1.5 rpm. Happens everytime. Oh, and when i turn the car on the car will start then all of a sudden bog down for a second then comes back to 1.5 rpm.

Could it be the tps sensor sense i accedently broke a piece where the harness connects to it, or could it be my ignition timing being off since i had to replace gasket and didnt set ignition time back to factory.?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

to answer your last sentence, yes it could be the tps sensor, depends on the damage and yes it could be the timing, it depends on what gasket you replaced. i assume it wasn't the head gasket, right? you would have to remove the timing belt for that, and as far as i know that would be the only gasket replacement which would involve checking timing. Assuming you didn't damage the tps sensor, and its not out of timing, i would get a vacuum gauge and check for an exhaust restriction (such as a clogged cat)

• 7 years ago

ignition timing is computer controlled.

Try the tps sensor, could be clogged cat.

• 7 years ago

Get your fault codes read. Looks like a MAP or MAF sensor failure.

• 7 years ago

umm im not sure lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.