Can I apply for sixth form in the UK?

I was born in Canada in 1997 to a British father. He was born in England in 1960 and moved away when he was 5. He has never renounced his British citizenship and he was married at the time of my birth. Next year I wish to attend a sixth form in Somerset however I need to be a citizen for the government to pay my fees. I know that I am eligible for British citizenship as the UK government states that I am on their website ( ) My question is do I need to apply for a British passport and THEN I become a UK citizen or am I one already? And can I apply for the school now or do I have to apply for a British passport first? PLEASE provide evidence as it is an important matter, and thank you so much!

2 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    From the information you've given, you're already a British citizen (by descent), so can apply for a British passport.

    However as a child (ie under 18) you can't move to the UK. You'll have to wait until you're an adult (unless your parents are moving too)

    Should you want to study at university in the UK, you won't require a visa, but will be charged international fees as a non resident, and will be ineligible for UK student loans. You have to live in the UK for 3 years before the start of a university course to be eligible for home fees and loans.

  • 7 years ago

    Yes - EVIDENCE

    Source(s): EVEDINCE
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.