I've never read a bible?

I've never read a bible, I've never been to church, etc. I grew up with parents who don't talk about religion. I've never asked them what religion they are, so I don't know if they're atheists or what. I assume they are... My parents let me decide for myself as far as believing or not. They didn't force a bible down my throat which I am extremely thankful for. I've never read a bible, never read any context out of it, no verses whatsoever.

The thing is, now that I'm older and wiser (21), I'd like to read a bible and see what it's all about. When I'm at work these older folks will come up to me and ask me what church I go to and I tell them I'm an atheist, and I've been threatened by them that they're going to get me fired, which I think is unfair. There's a reason why I'm an atheist, it's because I simply don't believe that there is such thing as a God. It has never occurred to me that my life should revolve around a glorious and holy presence, or pray and worship it.

Now with that said, I cannot disprove the existence of God. No one can, and no one can prove otherwise. I'm not here to say anyone is being silly by believing, I'm not here for that. Like I said, I can't prove he doesn't exist. It's just that all my life I've never seen the other spectrum of things, and I think it's time to read up about it. I think the best book to gain knowledge about would be the Holy Bible itself, don't you think?

Lets say for instance you grew up all your life in church, and God is good and great and he is the almighty whatever. You don't know what it's like to grow up atheist, correct? Well I don't know what it's like to grow up religious. It's hard to explain.

Plus when I talk to a christian person, and we debate religion vs. atheism, they always tell me to read the bible to fully understand their point of view. I opened a friend's bible with the intentions of reading it and I cannot understand the format, the context, etc. I'm looking for kind of a Holy Bible for dummies.. Something a person with absolutely no religious background can pick up and read with ease.

And for those of you who think all atheists are moral-less, you're wrong. I grew up with compassion for others, sympathies, morals, respect, education, and I'm a law abiding citizen. Most laws are based off of religion anyway, right? But there are good people in every religion, as well as bad. There are good atheists, and bad atheists. I think religious people believe a couple of things and this is an opinion. I am not a know-it-all, I don't claim to be one.

Okay, I think they first and foremost believe that I will go to hell for not believing. I don't know the answer to this! I live my life just like any good christian would, I don't do drugs, don't smoke, don't drink, don't party, etc. I live a pretty normal life, the only thing is I don't have God on my mind, I don't go to church. I don't sit at home and think about it, I just don't think about it at all. The only time it's brought up in my mind is if someone asks me. Then I'm like oh I don't believe, but you're more than welcome to believe in what you believe in, I fully respect that. I'm open minded. If I go to hell for being a good compassionate person, I will be very upset! But I don't think about it, because I shouldn't have to.

The second thing is that some believe an atheist hates god, dislikes, whatever. And don't put satan into perspective. I personally don't have any feelings towards him one way or another. Know why? I don't believe God exists. And if there's no God, there's obviously no satan. It's kind of implied that if we don't believe in one, we don't believe in the other.

Again, those are my opinions. Okay so my question is what Bible should I read? Just to broaden my horizons. I'm looking for an easy read. Thanks for your time, and yes go ahead and comment on my huge essay! I'm open minded, like I said before. If I have made a mistake, correct me! I'm here to learn. I don't know a thing about creationism, or any religion. Thanks again. :-)

I'm sorry, I put it into paragraph format but I guess my computer made them go away.

Okay so which bible is an easy read? I'm here to give my input and my experiences, and I'd like some back from you! That was my question, which version of the bible should I read? I'm looking them up online and there's so many different versions it's impossible for me to pick one out on my own.

Gary B, I reread what I posted after I posted it.. Shoved down my throat may be a little harsh of a phrase for it, but forcing a child to believe in something that is neither disproved or proved seems awful to me. It's also a hard topic to talk about because every parent teaches their children different things. Some parents are insanely strict about their childrens religious beliefs, while other parents let that be something the child decides. Whether or not they decide to pursue the path of atheism or religion is up to that child. I obviously don't know anything about the Bible, I was unaware that it was the same bible, because of the many different versions. I've never been in a church, I've never read a bible. I was hoping people who believe in God could read my post with a little more open mindedness. I'm not purposely disrespecting you, I'm sorry I offended you. I just think some parents go a little too far with, well, shoving religion down the children'

children's throats. I had more to this post but it got deleted. :P

Favorite Answer

Very insightful. I can tell you are someone who really thinks about their life.

Well, a Bible I would recommend is the NWT 2013 Revised edition. I'll put a link in the source box so you can read it online. It includes maps, measurements, and weight diagrams, a glossary, and bible work index. This revised edition is certainly easy to read. I just went back through some tough books such as JOB, and Chronicles. I picked up new points reading it now, than I did many times in the past.

However, be sure to compare bibles. www.kingjamesbibleonline.org is a nice site which compares the King James Bible to a number of Bible translations. Give it a try with the Scripture Psalms 83:18 in the search box, and see how other bibles render that verse.

Reading alone will get you familiar with it, but when you read mediate on what you read. Ask yourself, Why is this important? What does it mean for me? How am I measuring up? When you apply the bible to yourself personally it becomes an enjoyable read, and becomes real to you.

In the link below, feel free to explore the site. It takes common, everyday questions, and shows how the Bible gives satisfying answers.

Hope that helps.

• Arnie

The mystery's of faith an GOD are beyond human comprehension

Faith concerns questions which cannot be settled by evidence.

I think it's very sad that if someone does not have faith they would want others to agree with them!

How can the universe create itself out of nothingness? Given the fact that the universe began to exist, it must have had a “cause” that originated it.Doesn't it make more sense to assume the existence of a Creation. The question is tricky because it sneaks in the false assumption that GOD came from somewhere and then asks where that might be. The answer is that the question does not even make sense. It is like asking, “What does blue smell like?” Blue is not in the category of things that have a smell, so the question itself is flawed. In the same way, GOD is not in the category of things that are created or caused. GOD is uncaused and uncreated—He simply exists.

We know that from nothing, nothing comes. So, if there were ever a time when there was absolutely nothing in existence, then nothing would have ever come into existence. But things do exist. Therefore, since there could never have been absolutely nothing, something had to have always been in existence. That ever-existing being is what we call GOD ,GOD is the un-caused Being that caused everything else to come into existence. God is the uncreated Creator who created the universe and everything in it.

The universe requires a cause because it had a beginning, GOD unlike the universe, had no beginning, so he doesn’t need a cause. Einstein’s theory of general relativity, which has much experimental support, shows that time is linked to matter and space. So time itself would have begun along with matter and space. Since GOD is the creator of the whole universe, he is the creator of time. Therefore He is not limited by the time dimension He created..@

Life without GOD is like an un- sharpened pencil it has no point..

You can't see the wind, but you know it is there because you can see what the wind is doing. You can know that the wind is there because you can feel it.GOD is like the wind, you can't see him

You seem to be an educated person. I don't know where you are from but while I was in high school we were required to read Shakespeare's plays... 5 of them. If you have read and studied any Shakespeare's plays, the King James Version Bible was translated at about the same time. You shouldn't have any problems understanding it.

Why I recommend it is the words used in it were very carefully chosen and scrutinized by King James. Even if there is a reason not to like King James he was still a brilliant man that led the English language as the top spoken language of the world.

There is one subject that the Bible if focused on at that is the man named Jesus.

If you are just looking for an easy read for the Bible then you defeat the purpose for reading it. Just read the KJV Bible. The most powerful read you will ever do.

"The Message" is very readable, but it's more of a paraphrase than an actual translation. Still, it gets the jist across really well.

The Holman Christian Standard Bible, the New King James, the New International Version, the English Standard Version, are all pretty good, more true to the original languages than "The Message", but not quite as understandable.

The King James is, of course, the old standard. But it's very difficult to read, unless you've been trained in Victorian (ie. Shakespeare) English. It's biggest advantage is that so much of our culture is based on it, so reading it will help you to see how interwoven the Bible is in our culture. But I can't suggest reading it as a newbie.

As others have said, the Bible is probably not best read front-to-back unless you have a pretty good idea of what it says already.

Start reading in Genesis, going through chapter 20 of Exodus; then skip to the last chapter of Deuteronomy, and read through until Proverbs. Then skip to Luke, finish it and then read Acts. That'll give you a pretty good feel for the Bible's message.

As a summary of the Bible's story, look here: http://kentwest.blogspot.com/2006/09/bible-literac...

• Duke

I admire your opennesss and honesty. Well, for me when I was a teen, I found the Living Bible to be the easiest to read translation of the Bible, or another great choice would be the New Living Translation Bible. The Bible certainly is the greatest, and the most published book ever written, and well worth a read. On a personal note, I am a former agnostic, and I agree with you, there is no proof that there is, or isn't a God. What I have found very clearly in my personal investigation and study, is that there is far, far, more evidence that there is a God, and that the Bible is true, than any evidence to the contrary. I have posted a video below entitled The authenticity of the Bible, which I hope you take the time to view. Thanks for your question.

http://youtu.be/2mxR6G8zXb0

Youtube thumbnail

You are not alone. My parents never went to church either and I doubt if they cared one way or the other. I was fortunate, thank God, that I had a craving very early in my life to search for Him which I did. I walked a long way every Sunday just to attend Bible classes where I learned about God and Christianity. By the time I was an adult, my Mother began to be curious herself about my attendance at church and started going herself. I seems to me that God is calling you now and putting the idea into your heart and mind that there may very well be something out there that you should be aware of. Pay no mind to those that are narrow minded and judgmental. We all make mistakes and Christians are no different from anyone else. You will learn that as well in the Bible. As for Bibles, simply go to your nearest public library and ask them to recommend an easy and understandable Bible for you. I have done that along with my regular Bible, and find it very helpful. Good luck, and God bless.

I'll give you an online bible resource where you can read the different translations of the bible in the same verse. That way you can decide which one is easier for you. They have a lot of info also. Popular among young people is the "New International Version" and "New King James Version" Start with those and try the others,too. There are a ton of translations there.

http://www.biblegateway.com/

• Adnama

Go ahead and read the Bible. It will almost certainly confirm your atheism. It is a horrific book. Most Christians only read the nice parts and have not read the entire thing themselves. But if you are really interested, do read it. There are so many cultural allusions to Biblical stories, that it's worth it for that alone.

It is illegal for someone to fire you for being an atheist. If that were to happen, I hope you would fight it. Hopefully your boss is smart enough to know that.

Congrats on trying to broaden your horizons. There's nothing wrong with asking questions and learning about the beliefs of others! More people should do it.

Edit: The NRSV is a fairly reliable translation. "The Living Bible' is easier to read but not as good of a translation.

• Gary B

Would you be just as thankful if your parents had never forced a Math Book "down your throat"? Would be just as thankful if your parents had never forced you to go to school and learn to read, write, and even type? Would you be just as thankful if your parents had withdrawn you from science classes, because they didn't want those idea forced "down your throat"? What if they never let you listen to music, or watch TV, or play games, or even play with other kids?

Would you be just as thankful that you parents FORCED YOU to be a complete idiot, with no knowledge of the world around you, no understanding, no ability to function in this world that everyone else is an expert at?

Why are you thankful that your parents neglected your religious education? How are you to function in a world in which 95% of the population claims to believe in A god of some sort, when You have NO knowledge of ANY god? Why are you thankful that you have to write this long-a$$, almost pointless question, when the answer is obvious to anyone who HAS had a religious education that is at least equivalent to the mathematic, scientific, and social education of someone who had graduated from High school? Why are you thankful that your parents have neglected and short-changed your education, dooming you to a lesser function, even to being threatened and ostracized in the workplace?

THERE IS ONE BIBLE, but there are many translations. ALL BIBLES SAY THE SAME THINGS, they just use different words to explain the same ideas.

SOME translations are not as clear as others. The King James Version (KJV) is famous ONLY because of its wide-spread effects on world history at the time it was printed. The KJV was NOT the first English Bible, but is was the FIRST to gain officially sdanctioned distribution. But out of tradition it remains in archaic English format, with all those "Thee" and :"Thou" amd "Shalt" and "shalt not", and often uses confusing terms that mean something different in today's English. Just what is "shittim wood", anyway?

But still, the IDEAS presented in the King James Version ARE IDENTICAL to those in a more modern version like the New International Version (NIV), AND are identical to the old Hebrew and Greeks texts used in the first and second century AD.

IF a Bible is properly translated, then THE IDEAS it contains are the same as those presented 5000 years ago, 2000 years ago, 400 years ago, and today.

But there is ONE translation which purposely MISTRANSLATES the Bible in order to promote the heretical ideas of one particular cult. The translation, called the New World Translation (NWT), is published by The Watchtower organization, and is used ONLY in the churches operated by the Jehovah's Witnesses, a cult group that believes that Jesus is NOT God, a concept that was soundly, but unfortunately not finally, denied and beaten in 325 AD.

SO, with the exception of the New World Translation, READ ANY BIBLE THAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH. There are some, like The Message, that are designed to be easily read, written in a n almost street-wise language. Good for reading, but not so good if you actually want to STUDY God's Word. There is the New International Version that is an almost word-for-word translation (as much as that is possible) of the original texts, and includes newer information from recent archeological finds, like the Dead Sea Scrolls, which are just now making their way to the Internet.

ALL BIBLES SAY THE SAME THINGS, with the noted exceptions. If you simply stop at ANY Christian Book store, the people there will eb glad to guide you to a translation that you are comfortable reading.

Everybody should read the Bible. Love it or lump it, it's the most important work of literature in the Western world.

You can't understand Shakespeare, Dante, Milton, or so many other writers of beautiful literature without being familiar with the Bible. Additionally, the Bible contains some great works as well. Ecclesiastes is really deep and 1 Samuel has some of the most entertaining stories ever written.