How do i go to college and become a police officer?

I am 16, a junior in high school, and next year i will be a senior. I live in Baltimore City, Maryland, US.

I really want to become a police officer because i helped save this young girl's life after a hit and run... i was the only witness and i helped catch the guy as well because i identified the car and driver.

The only problem is that when i read on the Baltimore city website on how to become a police officer, it said you can become a police cadet at age 18 and then a police officer trainee at age 20 and 8 months.

The problem is a police cadet only makes around 23k and i also think college is obviously a good idea. Because i also like the idea of becoming a psychiatrist but that's many years of med school and other stuff, i really like the being a cop idea, helping people out and stuff...

Basically, my question is can i still go to college and be a police cadet/officer? I was thinking about getting degrees in psychology and a criminal justice degree to help out my law enforcement job.

Thanks a bunch again!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • J.W.
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You should definitely get a college degree if you want to become a police officer. Getting a college degree is one of the best things that you can do. Many police departments require or prefer applicants to have college. Some departments pay their officers more if they have a degree. Having a degree could also help you get promoted during your career. Choose a major that interests you, that is marketable, and that could be useful for police work. Many people that want to become police officers choose criminal justice as their college major. However, you don't have to. There are many majors that are good for police officers and people that want to become police officers. Accounting, communications, computer science, a foreign language, law, and psychology are some examples. When choosing a major, consider what you might want to do if you decide not to become a police officer or if you can't become a police officer. Whatever major you choose, make the most of your time in college. Choose a college or university that is properly accredited, get the highest grade point average that you can, participate in a couple extracurricular activities, get a good internship, do some regular volunteer work, don't do anything illegal, and maintain a good reputation. Some departments have cadet programs that allow selected people to be cadets while they are in college. Definitely consider becoming a cadet if you can. Getting police officer jobs is becoming more and more competitive. Do whatever you can to make yourself the best candidate that you can. Keep a good driving record, don't get bad credit, improve all of your communication skills, and become as physically fit as you can. Consider local, state, and federal jobs. Best of luck!

• 6 years ago

l do not think a college degree is a requirement to become a police officer but it will certainly help you moving up in different positions. Suggest that you call the local police department and ask them or tell them that you want to become a police officer and what do you need to know in order to become one Good luck...

• 6 years ago

Yes, you can be a cop after going to college. Having a degree will help your career a lot, it is much easier to obtain promotions if you have a college degree.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

You don't need a college degree to become a cop, only a high school diploma. The dumbest of the dumb become cops. Please find a career that actually serves a purpose.

Source(s): I can't stand a cop.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.