How can i go to college and be a police officer?

I am 16, a junior in high school, and next year i will be a senior. I live in Baltimore City, Maryland, US.

I really want to become a police officer because i helped save this young girl's life after a hit and run... i was the only witness and i helped catch the guy as well because i identified the car and driver.

The only problem is that when i read on the Baltimore city website on how to become a police officer, it said you can become a police cadet at age 18 and then a police officer trainee at age 20 and 8 months.

The problem is a police cadet only makes around 23k and i also think college is obviously a good idea. Because i also like the idea of becoming a psychiatrist but that's many years of med school and other stuff, i really like the being a cop idea, helping people out and stuff...

Basically, my question is can i still go to college and be a police cadet/officer? I was thinking about getting degrees in psychology and a criminal justice degree to help out my law enforcement job.

Thanks a bunch again!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • J.W.
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You should definitely get a college degree if you want to become a police officer. Getting a college degree is one of the best things that you can do. Many police departments require or prefer applicants to have college. Some departments pay their officers more if they have a degree. Having a degree could also help you get promoted during your career. Choose a major that interests you, that is marketable, and that could be useful for police work. Many people that want to become police officers choose criminal justice as their college major. However, you don't have to. There are many majors that are good for police officers and people that want to become police officers. Accounting, communications, computer science, a foreign language, law, and psychology are some examples. When choosing a major, consider what you might want to do if you decide not to become a police officer or if you can't become a police officer. Whatever major you choose, make the most of your time in college. Choose a college or university that is properly accredited, get the highest grade point average that you can, participate in a couple extracurricular activities, get a good internship, do some regular volunteer work, don't do anything illegal, and maintain a good reputation. Some departments have cadet programs that allow selected people to be cadets while they are in college. Definitely consider becoming a cadet if you can. Getting police officer jobs is becoming more and more competitive. Do whatever you can to make yourself the best candidate that you can. Keep a good driving record, don't get bad credit, improve all of your communication skills, and become as physically fit as you can. Consider local, state, and federal jobs. Best of luck!

• 6 years ago

Most police forces require that you have at least 60 college credits (two years) before you apply to their police academy, and certain law enforcement jobs, such as FBI, require a bachelors degree. So not only will you going to college help you in terms of your knowledge, it may actually either be required or strongly preferred in order to get into the police academy. And if you do change your mind and decide to pursue medicine instead, you'll be on the right track for that, too.

A lot of police forces give preference in hiring to people who speak Spanish, so if you don't already do so, take some Spanish classes in college.

• 6 years ago

Forget about what people tell you about "knowledge". Going to school to become a police officer is like going to the gym with Eric Cartman. If you wanna know how gangs work, look up the names of the saints in catholicism on wikipedia and then go read some books by Aleister Crowley. Read tons of books on psychology, particularily youth psychology because this is the category of people that commit the most crimes. Learn martial arts and study taoism, read as many books as you can on the subject and make your own notes if you have to. This is all stuff that society and the fat heads in anthropology tell you to stay away from because its "hard" and "requires you to be in school" this is not true; it is not hard to pick up these books and learn them for what they are. Theres two way you can get into the police force, either work your way up the tree in high school -->cadets --->college----> etc or prove something big to the chief of police in the region your currently in. The second option unfortunately is going to force you to make extremely risky, often difficult decisions; however if your up for that then go for it!

Instant noodles usually have Guar Gum in them, this is a highly nutricious substance grown in India.

I highly reccomend cutting up spinach, olives, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, red beans, chick peas, navy beans, mushrooms and mixing them in with quinoa, rice or some kind of instant noodles. Flax seed oil tastes good and is good for you too, I highly reccomend coconut, olive or palm oil as well. A steak or some kind of chicken three times a week(I personally prefer ground beef).

Seasonings I reccomend are Rosemary, Curry, Coriander, Garam Masala, Chinese Five Spice, Basil, Thyme, Paprika, Mustard Powder, Garlic Powder, Tumeric and Cumin. (big, thick tomato sandwich in cheese-bread every morning) All this food will keep you extremely fit.. And muscular. This can all be bought with patience and effort. Use your entertainment wisely, a lot of people miss out on being patient in having entertainment. I suggest you wait till the time draws near, then start wearing a nice suit with a deep blue or deep brown colour. Whatever you do, DO NOT let anyone tell you how to feel. You are the only person on this earth that can change your feelings about tommorrow. Society expects you to feel a "certain way" when in fact what your doing right now is a very very very good thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.