Correct pairing of Android kernel vs ROM?

First off, I am not quite sure how to phrase this question. Nor do I have certainty for resolution of my problem. In the form of flashing in CyanogenMod 10.2 I don't have cell working but CyanogenMod 7 is very much fine after reflash, those work is done on an older Gingerbread phone. Now it is CM 7 but I want... show more First off, I am not quite sure how to phrase this question. Nor do I have certainty for resolution of my problem. In the form of flashing in CyanogenMod 10.2 I don't have cell working but CyanogenMod 7 is very much fine after reflash, those work is done on an older Gingerbread phone. Now it is CM 7 but I want to load up CM 10.2 but I need to figure out this no IMEI, signal, baseand problem. I have read and not exactly groovy on XDA's Wiki on stuff I already know, and having done Gingerbread to CM Gingerbread and Jelly Bean to CM Jelly Bean fine goated me on to suspect I need to swap kernel somehow.

So first line: Is there such a pairing of correct [kernel, ROM]? That implies correct interface routing cell IMEI and other data.

Second line: Is that pairing have kernel split in two categorical versions along the Android Dessert (Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread) versus Android Snack line (ICS, Jelly Bean, Kit-Kat) In that case any ICS kernel works on Jelly Bean, right?

Third: unrelated, can I flash in Gapps from another device? Lack of Google Play bothers me. Or is there a "generic" signed bundle somewhere?

Fourth: How do I flash kernels? Can kernels be swapped up-down and sideways the way geeks swap ROMs?

Four.Fifth: Having CWM Recovery flashed is the danger of hard bricking behind me? Can I do retreat to a Gingerbread phone if somewhere I soft bricked in doing something?
1 answer 1