Best type of ammo for colt hammerless .32 acp?

I have a Colt Hammerless in .32 acp, but several people have told me not to use modern ammo because it's too hot for such an old pistol. They mentioned the hot modern ammo will crack the frame/slide and cause major damage. Is this true? If so, what kind of ammo should I use that will ensure my safety and won't hurt my Colt?

Best Answer

The .32 ACP as created for the 1903 hammerless and I don't believe it's specs have changed in 110 years. US made modern ammo specs are specified by SAAMI. Since SAAMI was created in 1926, when the 1903 was still in production, I believe that ANY commercial US made .32 ACP ammo will be fine in the 1903.

But as others have said, take it to a qualified gunsmith if you have a concern. There may be other issues with an old firearm.

• august

I'm guessing that .32 ACP is the best ammunition you should use.

As for whether the gun is safe to fire with modern ammunition, that's a question you need to ask of a gunsmith, not "several people." Have you taken your Colt Pocket Hammerless to a gunsmith to ask them if the gun is safe to fire at all? Have you asked the gunsmith if the gun will fire modern ammunition safely?

I'm guessing that it will be fine as long as you don't constantly use hot loads, but you really need to get the opinion of someone who knows how to check for safety.

What ever .32 ACP ammo you can find is what you should buy. It is pretty hard to come by these days

• Mr.357

It is .32 ACP so .32 ACP will work in it. That particular gun may have issues, so it would be best to have it checked out.

Take it to a gun store or smith. I used to have a similar one and never gave a thought to ammo, just used modern ammo off the shelf. Wasn't a Colt though, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortgies_Semi-Automati... , post war German.