promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 years ago

How did women challenge their place in society between 1800 and 1865?

i just got this question. I'm not one of foreigners and I have to write an essay. Would you help me?

I'm looking for good topics and TS. It seems that is not the hardest question, but I need to have ideas for it. so would you give me some sort of background and idea or tips?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

from the 1830s, many American women became involved in the abolitionist movement. They got up petitions, wrote letters, organised anti-slavery fairs, and some even became lecturers, which was considered a very daring thing for women at that time. the first female anti slavery lecturers in the USA were Sarah and Angelina Grimke.

At an anti slavery conference in London in 1840, female delegates were not allowed to speak, and were relegated to the gallery. Lucretia Mott and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, who were very indignant about this, got talking and decided to organise a women's rights conference. This did not actually take place until 1848, at Senneca Falls. Elizabeth Cady Stanton even suggested that women should have the vote, which caused Lucretia Mott to worry that they were going too far and it would make them look ridiculous. The Seneca Falls convention attracted a lot of negative publicity, and many of the women who attended afterwards withdrew their support from the Women's Rights manifesto that they had signed, but it was the beginning of the organised campaign for women's rights.

in 1849, Elizabeth Blackwell became the first woman to obtain a degree in medicine from an American university. She had difficulty establishing a practice, but eventually she began to practice in New York. Some other women also began to practise medicine, one female surgeon, Mary Walker, served with the Union army during the Civil War and became the first and only woman to win the Congressional medal of honour.

many women became nurses during the civil War. At the beginning of the war, the authorities on both sides were reluctant to allow women to serve as nurses, they thought a field hospital full of soldiers was no place for a woman, but many women began as volunteers, and eventually it was realised that they made good nurses, and that the death rate was lower when women were nursing the soldiers. 'The War is certainly ours as well as men's ' said Kate Cummings of Mobile, Alabama, who became the matron of a large Confederate hospital.

During the war Women also took over clerical jobs that had previously been done by men, in the south for instance many women worked at the treasury, where bills had to be signed by hand. it was a job for upper class women, and it was a new experience for them to work.

Source(s): America's Women, 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates and Heroines by Gaul Collins
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

You could talk about Women Artist who were emerging in Europe. Specifically France and Spain.

They would challenge their society by making artwork which was a big no-no for women. At the time, only men could do art and be appreciated for it. Some of these Women Artist were:

1) Sofonisba Anguissola, 1532-1625, Italy, Late Renaissance

2) Lavina Fontana, 1552-1614, Italy

3) Artemisia Gentileschi, 1593-1656, Iyaly, Baroque

4) Louise Elisabeth Vigee Le Brun, 1755-1842, Paris, France

5) Rosa Bonheur, 1822-1899, France, Realism

6) Berthe Marisot, 1841-1895, Paris, France, Impressionism

7) Mary Casat, 1844-1926, b. Pittsburg, USA, d. Paris, France

• 7 years ago

How does one challenge a physical location... . Unless maybe they are attempting to nap on a geyser?

• 7 years ago

Hmmmm. Dont know sorry.

Source(s): Hmmmm. Dont know sorry.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.