Why is my harddrive memory being used even though I'm deleting?

Recently, I posted a question about how to stop my laptop from freezing.

It stopped freezing after I cleared quite a bit of my laptop's harddrive.

I cleared it, and I had about 131 GB used up, a LOT less than before. Then, I deleted MORE unnecessary files, but the harddrive memory (that was used) started going UP from 131 GB used to 139 GB used, etc. I was REALLY confused because the amount of memory being used should be going down, since I was clearing many things out.

I just finished the "Free up disk space" and that should be helping give me more space, shouldn't it?

Instead, the amount of memory used up went up..to 154 GB out of 283 GB. This is worrying me because I know the more memory (GB) used, the less smoothly my laptop will run..

What's going on? Why is this happening? Why isn't the amount of GB used going down? Why is MORE space being used in my harddrive rather than less space?

PS. My laptop is a Windows 7 ASUS.

Thanks in advance!

My recycling bin is completely empty. (:

I guess your system is infected with some sort of virus or worm and worms replicate and most of the time consume your disk space and eventually causing freezes and sluggish computer;

Scan your system with good AV or look for combifix run it and then it might do the trick.

The Virtual Memory when set to automatically increases and decreases itself. It can take up more HD space, the best thing is to set it to a dedicated size, like the minimum of your RAM to twice your RAM.

Have you emptied your recycle bin ?

• TEX4S

WINDIRSTAT