Gifting an Xbox 360/Minecraft for Christmas, help?

I want to get an Xbox 360 for an 8-year-old boy for Christmas. His family is in a really bad place right now--they used to be an upper middle class family in the suburbs until a major disaster struck. His teenage brother committed suicide last year and the dad acted out violently against the people whom he held... show more I want to get an Xbox 360 for an 8-year-old boy for Christmas.

His family is in a really bad place right now--they used to be an upper middle class family in the suburbs until a major disaster struck. His teenage brother committed suicide last year and the dad acted out violently against the people whom he held responsible for the teenager's death. The dad is now in prison and the family sold the house to pay the lawyer's fees and still lost the case. The dad will be in prison for 6 more years.

The 8-year-old boy LOVES games. He watches Pokemon Minecraft videos on Youtube all the time. I thought it would really make his holiday

HOWEVER:
The family is so poor that they don't have wifi. Can he play Pokemon Minecraft (is that even a game on its own?) without internet access?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Update: Do I have to buy a Pokemon-Minecraft (maybe it's Pixelmon) game cartridge separately?