Do you think the real downfall of the Raiders began before the Jon Gruden/Rich Gannon era? because if you look?

at the Raiders history for the past 25 years or more, they have been pretty mediocre besides being a disaster for throughout the 2000's decade, you know they went 7 straight seasons losing 11 or more games, an NFL record for futility, now with yesterdays loss, it now makes 11 straight non-winning seasons.

Also, if you look at the 1990's decade for the Raiders, the Raiders made the playoffs only 3 times in the 1990's, they were pretty mediocre in the late 80's as well, like mainly after 1985.

Yes I know Al Davis has been dead for 2 years now, but do you think the late Raiders owner Al Davis started running the Raiders organization into the ground long before the Jon Gruden/Rich Gannon years?

Some people say the turning point in Raiders history was the fall-out, feud between Al Davis and Marcus Allen, others say it was after GM Ron Wolf left.

Update:

Because the Raiders were the most dominant and consistently winners in the 60's, 70's and early 80's, in which they rarely missed the playoffs.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No.. I don't believe so....

Source(s): RT....
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Cu Tie
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Come to think of it, I believe that the Raiders' downfall began when Jim Plunkett retired. In the over quarter of a century since then, the Raiders have struggled to find that next franchise quarterback. Sure, the Raiders have found some great stop gaps, such as Rich Gannon, but not a long-term franchise quarterback. Instead, the Raiders have chosen several quarterback busts, most notably JaMarcus Russell, which has set the franchise back.

Until the Raiders find a long-term franchise quarterback, this franchise will not be able to sustain consistent success.

Source(s): That being said, there really was no good excuse as to why the Raiders suddenly collapsed in 2003, finishing with the worst record in the NFL, just one season after appearing in Super Bowl XXXVII.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

if being a super bowl contender- and winning an afc championship in one of those years- for 3 straight years in the early 2000s isn't enough to be considered a successful franchise, then what are the Detroit Lions?

• ny21tb
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Looking back, I think it began after Tom Flores left.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

you bring up good valid points

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.