Becoming a conservation officer or game warden?

I'm interested in becoming a conservation officer or a game warden in specific areas of the US. For instance my dream would be working in national parks in Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Maine, Pennsylvania as well as many of the states that are a bit less inhabited and more forested. I'm currently a freshman in college and majoring in zoology while I'm planning to take some forestry classes on the side as well. I'm also debating on joining AFROTC and serving for a number of years. Would this help increase my chances of becoming a conservation officer or game warden? Note that I'm not just going into the AF just for the experience needed for becoming a CP/GW it's just something I might want to do. If I don't, how hard would it be to become one with just a zoology degree? thanks!

1 Answer

  • J.W.
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Requirements to become a game warden and how you become a game warden depends on the agency that you want to work for. Visit the websites of the agencies that you might want to work for. Agency websites often provide information about their applicant requirements, about how to apply, and about their hiring process. It is great that you plan on getting a college degree. Getting a college degree is one of the best things that you can do. Many law enforcement agencies require or prefer applicants to have college. Having a degree could help you get hired by some agencies. Some agencies pay their officers more if they have a college degree. Having a degree could also help you get promoted during your career. Zoology is a good major. Agronomy, animal science, biology, communications, criminal justice, environmental science, fisheries/wildlife biology, conservation biology, forestry, forest management, natural resource management, range management, range science, agricultural science, and ecology are some other majors that you might want to consider. Being a veteran can help you get law enforcement officer jobs. Veterans get extra points on civil service tests and preference for federal jobs. Some agencies that require applicants to have college will waive some or all of their college requirements for veterans. However, that won't matter if you have a 4 year degree. Also, for different reasons, some people simply like to hire qualified veterans whenever they get the chance to. If you are interested in animals and/or the outdoors and law enforcement, you might want to also consider titles such as animal cruelty investigator, humane law enforcement officer, and park ranger. You might be interested in federal jobs such as Uniformed Law Enforcement officer for the United States Forrest Service or Special Agent, Wildlife Inspector for the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, or Special Agent for the Environmental Protection Agency. Consider local, state, and federal jobs. Best of luck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.