Ratteses asked in PetsReptiles · 6 years ago

Gecko shedding problem?! 10 PTS BEST ANSWER?!?

My 4 year old African Fat-Tailed Gecko has had a shedding problem. Over the past month, she has been shedding once a week. For 2 weeks now, she hasn't been able to get her shed off.

I need help! The shed is over her eyes so it's hard to hunt, and it's also over her tail.

I bought her some reptile bathing liquid that is supposed to get the sheds off. How exactly do you use this, and should I just pull her sheds off?!

Her diet:

Crickets dusted with calcium powder

Water

More about her:

She has not been fattening or growing, she is full grown.

THANKS!

-ratteses

Update:

Thanks. I actually mist her cage everyday, so her humidity is just fine. But if I can't get it off- I will take her to a vet.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Best Answer

First of all, AFTs need 40-60% humidity, which can be obtained by misting every other day. You should also have a humid hide in the enclosure.

For now, mist her and with a wet q-tip, gently rub it over the stuck shed. If you can't get it off that way, then I suggest bringing her to a vet. The eyes are delicate, so you shouldn't just "pull it off".

EDIT: Also, does she ever get multivitamins? A lack of enough vitamin A can also cause shedding issues. She should get calcium with and without vitamin d3 and multivitamins dusted on her food at certain intervals.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.