According to a Colorado newspaper the U.S. Department of Justice stated in a memo?

in August that "it would largely ignore states that violate marijuana law." This question has nothing to do with me being either pro or con about marijuana legalization. My question is this: Does the Justice Department even have the power to decide that it will ignore a Federal law? The laws are... show more in August that "it would largely ignore states that violate marijuana law." This question has nothing to do with me being either pro or con about marijuana legalization. My question is this: Does the Justice Department even have the power to decide that it will ignore a Federal law? The laws are created by Congress. If the Justice Department decides to ignore any law doesn't that upset America's system of checks and balances?