Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 7 years ago

Phone stopped working after water damage. Need a replacement, and a GOOD one.?

I’m an adventure buff and traveling most of the times to different islands. Last month in Maui, my Symbian phone became totally dysfunctional after water damage. And here’s a shocker: I dropped it inside the shower (just don’t ask how), rather than outdoors.

I don’t want to be gloom in the doom any longer, and want a quick replacement, preferably a smartphone that can survive water drops, and anything else it might go through on my adventure. Anyone?

P.S. I don’t have a huge budget, so suggest me something in the mid-range.

Favorite Answer

Apple® iPhone® 5c

A6 chip. 8MP iSight camera. 4–inch Retina display. Ultrafast LTE wireless.* iPhone 5c has the things that made iPhone 5 an amazing phone–and more, including iOS 7. All in a completely new design that feels great in your hand.

Iphones have had a great deal of success I don't know what your budget is but an Iphone 5c cost 99 dollars for a two year contract which is pretty darn good.

P.S. they sell waterproof cases

Ther is also the Xperia which is a waterproof SmartPhone that has pretty good reviews.

Now that’s a bummer. Anyway I would have suggested an Xperia Z or S4 Active but your budget doesn’t sound like it’ll cover those models, so I would mention some alternatives available from the company Runbo.

Runbo? Does it ring a bell? Probably not, because not many people (excluding me) have heard about their phones, but they’re really good and people are calling them the MANLY phones (I don’t know your gender though). Either way, there are some models that will just fit in with all your outdoor adventures. Here are some models I can suggest (recently bought one of them from eBay):

1. Runbo X1

This is the feature phone in the lot, with a 2-inch display, a laser pointer, Android OS and a very noisy speaker. While it does come with a 4 GB internal SD memory, you would be further able to expand to 32 GB with the help of a microSD. Moreover, it will give you 10 hours of talk time and 40 hours of standby time.

As for its ‘outdoor’ features (likely to get you excited), it comes with IP67 certification, and can survive in 1 meter of deep water for 30 minutes. It’s also dustproof, shockproof and there’s a 400 to 470 MHz walkie talkie that lets you have conversations from 5 km away – a key feature in my opinion.

2. Runbo X3

This one comes with Android 4.0 preloaded, 1 GB RAM, 8 megapixel back camera, 0.3 megapixel front camera, 4 GB internal storage, 32 GB expandable memory, 1 GB dual core processor and a 3.5 inch display with a 480 x 800 resolution. Other non-outdoorsy, but useful features of the phone are its full-sized QWERTY key board and dual SIM card capacity.

Now over to your part, it also comes with IP67 certification and a laser pointer so it’s also as rugged as the previous model. However, it goes one step ahead when it comes to the walkie talkie because it covers a range of 10 km. This model would also suit you during adventure games with the peers, I guess.

3. Runbo X5

This is the granddaddy of em’ all, and perhaps the manliest phone to date among the lines of Runbo phones available. I’m not saying this, but the videos on YouTube are, and they’re nothing short of crazy. I’ll leave the links at the end for you to check out.

Runbo X5 is a rugged Android 4.0 3G smartphone with a MTK6577 Cortex-A9 1 GHz dual-core chipset, a 4.3 inch IPS display with 800 x 480 screen resolution, a very noisy speaker (all models have it), a QWERTY keyboard, and a laser pointer. The camera and storage features are the same as X3.

X5’s walkie talkie also goes up to 10 km range and the IP67 certification ensures that the phone stays functional even after you take it for a roller coaster ride. This isn’t a joke, see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qiil-dGXHU

Youtube thumbnail

The best thing about these phones is that they’re all priced under $400. If that’s your midrange, one of these models might just be the answer. However, I recommend that you check out other options and compare their outdoor features with Runbo before making a decision. Hope this helps.

Get a Samsung htc, I think it is called, or an iphone 5. The kicker would be you should buy a waterproof case for it, and they can run up to 100 bucks. If you get a phone with a contract, they will usually be 100 or less - most are free.

• Kainoa

Galaxy 4 has a version that is Spill Proof , it is a metal Edition. I have been very happy with my Samsung Galaxy 4 . Although I want the Spill Proof Edition now that it is available.

even if you have waterproof case some times you will phone get damaged with several reasons. your should know what needs to be done when your phone is dropped in water, follow these instructions to protect your phone after water damage

1.Do not turn it on

2.Remove SIM Card

3.Dab as much liquid as possible from outside

4.Remove Sensitive Parts

5.Drying

6.Turning it on