Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 6 years ago

Tips when using Oil paints?

Does anybody have some tips I could use when painting with oils. How to make them dry faster, types of brushes,ect. And if you could inclued any web sites that I could use, thad be great

Favorite Answer

michael, I think I can help you out. You asked a straight up question and you deserve a straight up answer.

Q. How to make them dry faster,

A. A oil painting may take from a few days to a week or more to dry to the touch depending on 3 factors, thickness of paint, use of faster (e.g., earth colors) or slower (e.g., white, cadmiums) drying pigments, amount and type of medium. Figure 7 days, coincidentally the length between weekly painting classes. Drying time can be sped up to 3 days (depending) with the use of an alkyd medium such as Liquin.

I haven't tried these, but take a look at Gamblin FastMatte http://www.gamblincolors.com/artists.grade.oils/fa...

10 THINGS TO HELP YOU GET STARTED WITH OIL PAINTING (Short Version):

1. PAINTS:

Red (Alizarin Crimson)

Yellow (Cadmium Yellow Medium or similar)

Blue (Ultramarine)

White (Titanium White)

Burnt Umber (optional)

Burnt Sienna (optional)

Ivory Black (optional)

2. BRUSHES:

Nos. 2 and 4 Brights (Short flat bristle brushes)

No. 12 Flat Bristle Brushes

No. 12 Pointed Round Sable or Synthetic Sable Brush (for lines and details)

3. MEDIUM:

Linseed Oil. (You do NOT need a separate "drying agent." However, Liquin, Liquin Fine Detail, Galkyd, Galkyd Lite are mediums containing an alkyd drying agent. I prefer Liquin Fine Detail. Fragonard Medium Gel is probably similar to Liquin or Galkyd Lite.)

4. SOLVENT:

OMS (Odorless Mineral Spirits)

5. PALETTE:

A disposable paper palette pad

6. SUPPORT:

Stretched gessoed canvas

7. EASEL:

Anything with which you can prop up your support (canvas) so that it is at comfortable angle and height.

8. CLEANUP:

Paper towels (e.g., Viva)

9. VENTILATION:

The odorless fumes of OMS can make one ill. Make sure the room in which you work is well ventilated with fresh air!

10. IMAGINATION:

Take an oil painting class!

Visit your local library for beginning oil painting books.

For the long version, see my answer here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201301...

Have fun and if any of us have been able to help, please let us know.

Artist and Designer, U.S.

Michael, you want to learn about oils and people tell you to use acrylics. Sheesh! But I will say the brushes, the quality of the materials are not as important as learning to see and translate what you see into oil on canvas. For this knowledge lessons from a good teacher is necessary. By the way, there is no quick way to dry oil paint. You need to wait.

• glcang

Japan drier makes oils dry faster but you need to know how to use the stuff.

You sound like a beginner,so get yourself a god book at Dick Blick or Cheap Joes.

If you are a begginer I suggest acrylic paint instead. It's a lot faster at drying and more easy to use. There is no way to make oil paint dry fast. And I also suggest using a canvas roll instead of buying single canvases.

Source(s): I'm only 14 and been painting for a year and I have sold 3 of my paintings. :)

Faster painting with oils? Use acrylic. I suppose you could use a hair dryer and risk cracking on true oil paints.