Can one isolate them self for a while and not suffer any consequences ... read description *interesting*?

So lets say, i was to isolate and cut myself off from my general everyday routine (more so, social life) for about 6 - 12 months for a self evaluation and betterment process. During this time off, i'd read books..lots of em (i.e books on spirituality, philosophy, human nature, understanding ......, how to .........), meditate heavily, exercise and workout, re-read books, meditate more, reflect, study and practice things i want to be knowledgeable and skilled at, planning, creating, imagining, and practicing some more.

of course i will continue going to work and every once in a while pay a friend a visit, and if they so insist, go out.

Now, will this isolation deplete my social skills ? will my "street smarts" and "common sense" suffer ? are there any upsides and downsides to this ? what is your take on it ? have you ever undergone something like this ?

Thanks everyone, your answers will be greatly appreciated

• rayn
    Favorite Answer

Although I didn't set out to isolate myself, I did find myself in the position to do so. (Just as anything else I do, for example my 40th birthday weekend was presented an offer to go skydiving. It was so fun.) So in my isolation mode I took advantage of having a quiet time in reflection of where I have been and where I want to go. It was one of my best decisions and didn't affect social skills negatively. I would say it improved my social skills as I no longer waste precious time on people that give me grief. (gossipers, backbiters, users, etc.) They are not unique and easy to spot and although I will be gracious I do not allow them to attempt to befriend me as I am well aware of the outcome.

Before, I was either too naive or too trusting and it cost me on many levels. I believe that your common sense and street smarts will actually sharpen. But then, attitude can have a lot to do with it too.

You will become a stronger, more focused person. And no you will not suffer in your social skills. I've been doing this for a year now, and whenever I go in public, I'm just generally more advanced than any average person. I didn't mediate though. I focused on bodybuilding (in which I gained 30 pounds of muscle). I've studied to get ahead on my degree, and I've worked on my music, philosophy,writing stuff. So basically, if you got nothing to lose, and you have the balls to let EVERYTHING go. Then do it, you will become more powerful as a result. Part of being a man is being able to let go of things.

• ?

it will decrease your social skills, but you can get them back fairly quickly.