Cana women become a firefighter?

I know they can, so I guess what I'm really asking is can I be one? I'm female. I am short (5ft3) and I weigh 115pounds. I am 17, and really want to be a firefighter. But am I even able to? I know you have to be able to carry 45 lbs and run a certain amount of miles as an ability test. Do you think that's something I could do?

USA all the way:

What you have said was one of my worries already. I know I am strong and capable, but I also know my limits. Do you think I would better be suited for wildland firefighting? Thanks for all your answers so far guys.

• John F
    Favorite Answer

There are lots of female firefighters. But, all of them have passed the minimum physical agility standards. At 17, you have plenty of time to work out and train. Most departments publish their physical standards, so you can know what to set as your goals. Don't down play wildland firefighting as less strenuous. At times it may actually be more strenuous than structural firefighting.

Source(s): Many years in in the fire service

Of course you can, when you turn 18. But, you must be able top meet the physical requirement. Fire doesn't recognized gender, it kills males and females just the same. If you can't handle the physical portion of the testing or complete the physical training, you should look at another career. EMS perhaps. By the way, wild-land firefighting is no easier.

They have reduced the requirements so women can qualify but I don't think you will meet them. In reality I don't think that is a good career choice for you. You aren't physically able to lift a 200 lb. man and carry them through a burning building which would make you a risk rather than an asset to yourself and to any potential victims that would depend on you to be able to rescue them. How would you feel if you left someone to burn alive in a building because you weren't able to preform your duties as a firefighter?

• ?

in my state there are many towns that have female firefighters, so yeah you can do it, it will require positive thinking on your part but it can be done

not at 17 ..try out at 23

yeah of course why not