Marissa asked in PetsHorses · 7 years ago

What are my chances of getting this job?

I know, only the owner can give me the real final answer but if I came to your barn, would you hire me?

I've been working at barns for 4 years although I've only worked for lessons, not real money like this job will be.

I catch on and remember things quickly.

I've dealt with untrained/spooky Arabians (worked at a farm that specifically bred Arabians), I then moved on to a stable that races Thoroughbreds and took care of them.

I've watched a farm for over a week multiple times with 50+ horses (Not an exaggeration, there were literally 50 or more horses there between the owners horses, horses in training, and horses being boarded) (which this was the Arabian farm)

I used to clean 17 stalls daily plus feed/water, lead out to the paddocks, and scrub water buckets

I can lead, feed, lunge, water, groom, clean, I know how to drive and control a bobcat.

I genuinely love horses and all animals, I would never ever do anything to put any in harm.

This new barn I have an interview with only has 15 horses so it would be quite a lot less work for me..

My only problem is she asked for references, one having to be an old trainer/boss at the other barns...

The arabian barn didn't end very well (I took the blame for my best friend who worked there too and yeah...) so I don't feel comfortable using her...

The Thoroughbred barn is mainly a summer job and unfortunately I lost all the information about the lady I worked with (Phone broke) and I can't just "google" her barn to get the info again because it wasn't her barn, she like me, only helps out there but she gets paid whereas I got lessons from her..

Considering I don't have the horse reference (I am trying hard to find some information though) do you think this would be a deal breaker? :/

I know it sounds weird but working at a barn is literally my dream job LOL

Thanks!!

• .
    Favorite Answer

I ask for references when hiring, more for character.

To evaluate a prospective employee, I have them work a day along side me so I can see their horsemanship skills first hand. See, just because someone says they know how to do something, does not mean they actually DO, or even if they do.. that they do it in the same way that I prefer. Working with them I get to see how they handle themselves around horses before making a commitment and i see how they take constructive criticism.

Go, be honest about your employment history.. minus the details of the drama. Be diplomatic and professional about prior employers even if it ended badly. The horse industry is VERY VERY SMALL and people talk. If you trash talk a prior barn, that won't reflect well on you.

I would give you a shot.

• Finley

references aren't a deal breaker.

why? in the end, they don't mean much if anything at all.

basically, barn owners/managers ask for them just to weed out anyone who's clearly not a horse person.

Just go to the new barn and talk with the barn owner/manager, whoever it is who is hiring.

They want to see experience, not just read about it.

You might make an effort though (if references are really a big deal at the new place) to go back to the TB barn and track down some references.

That shows me someone with incentive.

You sounds like you're qualified and have experience enough to work at a barn. Depending on who else applies, this may or may not be all you need to get the job, especially if you present yourself well at the interview. For references, you must know a co-worker, another instructor, someone you horse-sat for, even a friend who can vouch for your work ethic and horse experience. Your reference doesn't need to be the owner of the barn you worked for.

Maybe get ahold of the people that boarded at those stables since you took care of their horses. I would hire you because you have experience. In the equine industry, most owners/managers want people with lots of experience and confidence in the equine field. Good luck dear!

Look this person in the eye when they ask again for them and tell them the truth. You have lots of relevant experience but do not have references available. If she asks why, tell her. Ask her to try you out for a trial period (a week or two) and demonstrate your ability to do the work and do a good job for her.

• ?

Depends how much you're asking.

We personally don't hire people because we're a private barn