我要做條essay，2000字，assess the strengths and weaknesses of barthes analysis and critique of 'popular culture'.
- WLv 57 years agoFavorite Answer
Roland Barthes - Semiotic Analysis
- define: Semiology/Semiotics
- define related concepts: Signs, Signifier, Signified, metalanguage,
denotation, connotation, myth
- establishes a scientific way of understanding modern/popular culture
- applies the method of semiotics in analysis of popular culture
- objects and events always meant more than themselves,
implied existence of an underlying IDEOLOGY
- to discover what is the hidden meaning behind the language,
to decode the signs
- influenced by Karl Marx's social thoughts on ideology & propaganda
- tools used by bourgeoisie to impose their values on others
e.g. Advertisements on consumer goods, fashion, music, literature,
magazine, photography, entertainment, food, transportation,
- going back to the basics: Within Sociology, a theory is a set of
statement that seeks to explain problems, actions or behaviour.
An effective theory may have both explanatory and predictive
- Strengths: you try to figure it out (it is your assignment)
- Weaknesses includes:
- concentrates only on explanatory elements of social phenomena
- no empirical evidences (i.e. regional or timeline statistics) to
support his claims, therefore no predictive function
- did not indicate what is to be done? what is to be changed?
- only interested in "Status Quo"
- his ideas can only be considered as methods of analysis or
observation and not a Theory.