Are U.S. Postal Service transport vehicles required to pay tolls on Interstate highways?

I recently purchased something from an online site which is being shipped by the USPS. I have been tracking the shipping log of my purchase and it seems to be taking a roundabout path to get to me, especially seeing that one of its points of transfer put it within two and a half hours of my town. Instead, it was shipped through two other states (at least) before being shipped back into my state. The only reasonable explanation I could come up with is that the most direct route for the purchase to take is a toll road and the government is trying to cut tax waste as much as possible. Is this the reason?

Favorite Answer

Packages travel through what is called a hub and poke distribution network. You mention toll roads, which seem to be most prevalent in the northeast, so two states away may be still fairly close. based on the destination zip code and the class of service, this may be entirely proper. Sometimes the locations of the hubs just doesn't seem to make sense, especially for non Priority mail.

States and local governments can't tax the US government. UPS and FedEx do the same darn thing. I know of packages sent from Oregon to Washington that go to California first. They get sent to processing centers and from there sent out to local sites.

using more gas to avoid toll charges seems to be a poor way to save money; there might be a better explanation