Has anyone seen any rats while in the Philippines?

I seen one the other day at a nice hotel's lobby. It ran across the floor in broad daylight. I don't know how it got past security guards unless they were sleeping.

A little girl got bit by one while sleeping on the floor about a month ago.

I've only seen rat poop around my place but I quickly applied rat poison and like magic, no more poop.

No, not talking about the 2 legged rats. Talking about the 4 legged ones with long tails.

It's a little known problem but if you've heard of "leptospirosis" you would be careful where you go. My wife warned me about this danger. I do not go out in sandals anymore.

Read about "leptospirosis" to learn more about it.

• Ryder
    Favorite Answer

Knowing what I know about rats and leptospirosis I'm surprised. there is not more cases of it reported in the Philippines. People wear flip flop sandals everywhere and there are open gutters where urine from rats, dogs, and people flow freely.

No, I have not seen any rats but I've seen rat poop around.

• XYZ

No, I've not seen any but I know by the signs that they are around. I also know that the asker knows that rats are everywhere and not just in the Philippines.

The emphasis is on the knowledge about "leptospirosis" which some of the responders failed to notice.

• JUSTIN

I've seen rats in the Philippines and yes, I do know about leptospirosis. Probably most Filipinos fail to know the danger of the infection.

I don't wear sandals outside my place.

• inday

Hahhhhh only blind ones cannot see rats here.

Hopefully you are not one of those blinds.

Before my place was develop into a subdivision, this wide area was once a rice fields, so until now there are still rats here.

I saw big and small rat around my house by chance mostly at night time.

I run after the rat chase them and hit them with a broomstick, picked their tail and flushed them in my toilet bowl.

Problem solved.

Back:

You Drifter, think about this dodo.

How can you pick a rats tail if they are still alive? How can a rat swim if they are dead?

If I hit you hard with my broomstick........before I picked you and throw you somewhere I want to make sure first that you are a DEAD MEAT!!!

Talking about rats and not humans.

Dodo!!!!

Yes, rats are everywhere. Usually come out at night. They can be in your attic. Look for rat dodo and do what you have to do.

They live in sewers and are good swimmers. So someone tell INDAY that she is doing them a favor by flushing them down the toilet.

"Leptospirosis" is a very very serious threat to your health.

• J@ps

PC is correct the rats in downtown LA are bigger than cats in Manila.

But yes, I've seen rats all over Metro Manila, not inside homes but outside near dumpsters, dark alleys and sewers (normally at night) -- much like in LA and any major cosmopolitan city all over the world.

• Plenty of rats in the Philippines.

• PC

I was sitting on a stool outside of a bar in the province one afternoon. A "cat" ran across my feet, at least that was what I thought, until I saw it scurry into the sewer pipe. Biggest rat I have ever seen. Needless to say, the rest of my drinking session was with my feet planted on the rungs of the stool.

FYI There are rats in all countries and not just in the Philippines.