Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What states legalized euthanasia?

I'm writing a paper about how euthanasia should be legalized throughout the United States, I'm just having a hard time with finding which states legalized euthanasia so far, because there are different blogs and unreliable sources that keep coming up.

I need a reliable source because I have to cite it and we can not use wikipedia

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Euthanasia is illegal in all states of the United States. Physician aid in dying (PAD), or assisted suicide, is legal in the states of Washington, Oregon, Montana, and Vermont. The key difference between euthanasia and PAD is who administers the lethal dose of medication. Euthanasia entails the physician or another third party administering the medication, whereas PAD requires the patient to self-administer the medication and to determine whether and when to do this. Attempts to legalize PAD resulted in ballot initiatives and "legislation bills" within the United States of America in the last 20 years. For example, the state of Washington voters saw Ballot Initiative 119 in 1991, the state of California placed Proposition 161 on the ballot in 1992, Oregon voters passed Measure 16 (Death with Dignity Act) in 1994, the state of Michigan included Proposal B in their ballot in 1998, and Washington's Initiative 1000 passed in 2008. Vermont's state legislature passed a bill making PAD legal in May 2013. However, on May 31 2013, Maine rejected a similar bill within its state legislature (95-13)."

• ?
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

"Active" euthanasia is not legal in the US "Passive" euthanasia (removal of life support etc) is legal in most states with patent consent, assisted suicide is legal in four states: Oregon, Vermont, Washington and Montana.

http://www.amednews.com/article/20100118/professio...

• 7 years ago

Euthanasia is illegal in the US, however assisted suicide is recognized in some states.

• 7 years ago

There isn't one in the USA..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.