Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is the application that used center tapped Transformer ?

What is the application that used center tapped Transformer ,Plz give urgent answer i am not get data from Google Search,Needs to know at 10 least devices to prepare my Documentation

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Ecko
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They are commonly used in a push pull rectifier circuit using 2 diodes. These use a centre tapped secondary.

Commonly used in the US to get a household electrical supply of 120V from L1 and L2 supply lines to ground common, which is 240V between L1 and L2. These also use a centre tapped secondary.

Push pull amplifiers. Here the push pull action is in the primary.

Push pull inverters. (DC to AC). Here the push pull action is in the primary.

With a telephone line a centre tapped transformer can be provided at each end of a pair of wires. If the tap is grounded each line has a balanced AC impedance to ground, but still has DC connection to ground for safety and noise reasons. This can be extended to feeding power or even a derived telegraph circuit using the centre tap and ground for the two sides of a sender at one end, and for the receiver at the other end (Cailho circuit). Sometimes a similar system is used nowadays with microphone connections to feed power to a preamplifier over the signal wires. This is called a phantom circuit but is really a Cailho connection.

By using two pairs of wire and two sets of centre taps the derived telephone line is also balanced and this is a phantom circuit. Three balanced phone lines for the price of two.

Centre tapped transformers are used in various balanced to unbalanced connections in radio systems. These are between balanced antennas and unbalanced coaxial lines for example. They are sometimes called baluns.

Yet another telecomm application using centre taps is a transformer hybrid used to separate two directions of signal on a 2 wire telephone line into a go and return wire (2 wire circuit to 4 wire circuit).

Search images for circuits of all these using the key words I have given to see how they work. I have put links for a hybrid and the household supply below.

• 8 years ago

By using Centre tapped Transformer only 2 diodes enough for Full wave rectification.the centre tape help to avoid extra 2 diodes.the hole power supply may be cheaper than normal 2 tap type rectification.

• Rick
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Full wave rectifier with just 2 diodes.

• 8 years ago

One application is source for a full wave rectifier circuit..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.