Active vs passive vs humoral vs cell-mediated immunity?

Can you explain the difference between these types of immunity? What kind of immunity is it when a lymphocyte B cell excretes antibodies?

Thank you very much!

Update:

Also, how acquired immunity plays into this. Out of: illnesses, vaccines, and breast milk, which are examples of acquired immunity?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't know this stuff myself, but I'm learning it in my microbiology class right now so I thought it'd be good to share the info. Helps me learn it too.

Active immunity

From vaccine or exposure to infection. Usually long-lasting immunity that is acquired through production of antibodies within the organism in response to the presence of antigens.

Passive immunity

Maternal antibodies. Short term immunity acquired by the transfer of antibodies from another individual (as through injection, placental transfer to a fetus or milk from mother to infant).

Humeral immunity

B-cell mediated. Antibodies specific to invading pathogen are made --> Antigen binds to B-cells --> binds with T-helper cell --> B-cell gets activated to produce antibodies.

Cell-mediated immunity

T-cell mediated. Macrophages capture nonself cell --> T-helper cell binds to it & secretes cytokine to signal cytotoxic T cell --> cytotoxic T cell destroys nonself cell

Vaccines and milk are examples of acquired active and acquired passive immunity respectively.

Source(s): Google, textbook, notes, and dictionary.
  • Louis
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

The difference between active and passive immunity is the fact that active immunity is immunity developed by an individual's cells in response to an infection or upon contact with foreign antigens, and passive immunity is immunity developed when ready-made antibodies are inoculated into the body. Passive immunity is short lived but active immunity is long lasting.

In humoral immunity:

1. B cells, which have antibodies attached to their surface, will bind to an antigen floating around in the blood.

2. Once this occurs, the antigen will be endocytosed and subsequently presented on the surface of the B cell in a MHC class 2 receptor

3. A T-Helper 2 cell containing the same antibody will bind to the MHC class 2 receptor on the B-cell

4. This will cause the B-cell to differentiate into plasma cells and memory B-cells

5. Plasma cells generate free floating antibodies, memory B-cells stay around in case of later infection

In the Cell-Mediated response:

1. A macrophage eats a pathogen/antigen

2. The antigen is presented on the surface of the macrophage in a MHC class 2 receptor

3. A T-helper 1 cell with the corresponding antibody on its surface binds to the MHC class 2 receptor containing the antigen

4. The T-helper 1 cell then activates cytotoxic T cells

5. Cytotoxic T cells then patrol your body looking for other infected cells. Infected cells will have the antigen presented on the surface of the cell in a MHC class 1 receptor.

6. When the cytotoxic T cell finds an infected cell, it will bind to the MHC class 1 receptor containing the antigen

7. The cytotoxic T cell will then release Interferon and Tumor Necrosis Factor. The former slows down the infected cell's reproduction, while the latter causes the cell to undergo apoptosis.

Thus, the Humoral system takes down pathogens floating in the blood, while the Cell-Mediated response kills cells that have become infected with the pathogen

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.