car problems - ratting engine, no heat, car shut off and smoking?

The problem:

When I first started my car today I had some trouble but it kicked over after a longer than normal first try. After driving for 10 minutes the heat turned off and would only blow cold air and I started hearing this "tinging" sound from the engine which got louder and more frequent the longer/faster I drove. After about 4-5 minutes of this is became very loud/frequent that my car turned off and started smoking mildly.

No dash lights ever came on until right when the car shut off and started coasting. Those were my check engine, battery, and oil lights (which kicked on first).

Other facts about the car:

After waiting for my car to cool off a bit I checked my oil and radiator fluid levels; both were a little low but still enough to run a car.

Brand new alternator about 2 months ago

Summary:

No heat, "Tinging" noise, car shut off smoking, no check lights until after car shut off

98 mercury tracer ls

• David
    Best Answer

I'd say lack of coolant circulation - leading to overheating of engine and lack of heat from heater.

Possible causes include:

Broken waterpump drive belt or loose/slipping belt ( you don't say make, model, year - some waterpumps are driven by gears or chains - which can also fail). As you also have a low battery warning light, I'd hazard a guess that you have a car with a belt that drives the waterpump and the alternator - and it has broken or is slipping.

It could be a broken waterpump (look in the coolant reservoir - you should see 'swirling' as the engine runs (briefly!), or blocked hoses or coolant circulation channels, or low coolant level. But those wouldn't explain the battery warning light.

But a 'low oil' light does not match with 'a little low' - it means 'very low'

• ?

Which Nissan is it there is a reprogram for Altimas to address a stalling issue? I think we are looking at a nissan with 112,000 miles on it model would help and four or six cyl engine on rear trunk badged 2.5 or 3.5. Sentra Altima Maxima???

All the lights that came on are normal when the motor quits and the key is still on. Tow it to a mechanic so you don't do any more damage than has been done already.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

If its a computerised car. Check the computer of it....check its timing belt..check the silencer(full pipe). Maybe spark plug problem... Radiator pipes. Tinging

sound might be tyre(disks or drums) axles. Or some other mechanical stuff.

I hope you have checked these thing.