Scope for my Remington 700 7mm rem mag?

Hunting anywhere between 50-500 yards. (woods and corn fields) I'm debating going all out on a VX-3 1.5-5x20mm Illuminated Reticle, VX-3 3.5-10x50mm Illuminated Reticle, SWFA SS 6x42, and a Nikon 2.5-10x42 Monarch 3. It's a wide variety but I like the cheap SS and I've heard nothing but good things. I also hear the Monarch is a beautifully clear scope for the money. I also was thinking maybe I should go all out and save up a bit longer for an illuminated Leo, I do think 10x is a bit much but the low end at 3.5 is perfect. I'm a little scared of the fixed power SS yet my dad thinks it'd be perfect. (He also shoots a 7mm) I know of another fella with a 7mm who uses a Leo VX1 so I'm torn. I was a Leopold fanboy but the competition seems good to. I hunt whitetail primarily but would like to go elk and mule in time. I would just like honest opinions without to much fanboy bullshit.

With that 7mm as long as you can hit them at 400-500 yards it's got more then enough energy to drop them. My uncle my dad all of my dad's friends and myself hunt with them. I've seen deer drop instantly from the 7mm at long range more often than mid range. As far as the illuminated reticle goes my uncle has one on his 7mm and I like it pretty well. I'm leaning towards the monarch so far. And I'm thinking I'd prefer the SWFA SS 3-15x42 because it's the same price as the 3-9 and the 15 might be nice when I'm target shooting and sighting in.

• SM
    Best Answer

Both Leupold and Nikon make excellent scopes, I use the variX2 in a 3x9x50 on my 7mag. It will take the recoil without a problem and for my money the 50mm apeture allows me take those early morning shots or the ones late right as it gets to the end of the shooting time.

If your going to be having to make constant adjustments for yardage changes you might want to look at the variX2 with the BAS feature. This will allow for range changes without a lot of reajusting of your elevation.

I also have a 7mm STW that I put one of the Nikon Monarch scopes on and it does a great job on mule deer and elk in the mountains or across a canyon. Kind of a decision where persoanl likes are involved along with quality and dependability of the scope. It's just my opinion but I prefer the ability of Leupold when light gathering is in question.

I can't agree with shooting at 500 yards, and I can't see the advantage of the illuminated reticles.

I also used a fixed 6x for about 25 or 30 years, but that was when variables still had problems. Nikon does have good glass, and one of my deer rifles has a Nikon on top, but I still top most of mine with Leupold. I'd suggest you look at the VX-3 in 1.75-6x, or even the VX-2 in 2-7x, as plenty of scope without breaking the bank.

• Mr.357

My oldest son has a SWFA 10X. It is good out to beyond 600 yds.