What happens if someone is shot while hunting?

This just ran through my mind, ive never been hunting ( but id love to go)

I feel like there are people who get WAY into it and get into camouflage so what happens if i'm hunting for birds or something, shoot at one and accidentally hit some guy hiding in some trees or prone?

I would totally help the guy out best I could.

I was mostly just scared because what if I shoot and out of nowhere I hear yelling because some guy well hidden got in the crossfire.

Favorite Answer

Depending on your state, it is likely required that hunters wear blaze orange when hunting any land other than private property. The theory is that if it is possible to encounter another person legally hunting, both of you will be as visible as possible.

Accidents almost always happen when someone isn't following the rules. Far more hunting accidents happen within close proximity due to carelessness than happen because someone didn't see another hunter camouflaged on the other side of their target. If you are in the woods alone, you are likely 100x more dangerous to yourself than any other threats to you. Slips and falls, sprains, getting lost, hypothermia, self-inflicted gun or knife injuries--the list goes on. You've heard of someone getting injured from falling, right? Have you ever known someone who has been accidentally shot by a hunter?

The simple odds of accidentally shooting someone in the woods are staggeringly low. That's not to say that you shouldn't be careful, of course. Knowing your target and knowing what is behind it makes it nearly impossible to go wrong. Still, let's think about this: a deer and a person are roughly the same size. Your odds of shooting and hitting a random person are roughly the same as your odds of randomly shooting into the woods and hitting a deer that you didn't see. Let's say that there is a person that you are unaware of within fairly short range of you (say, 100 yards) and you cover your eyes, spin around, and randomly shoot. A person is about 2 feet wide. The circumference of a 100 yard circle is 1884 feet. That's a 1 in 942 chance of hitting a person 100 yards away from you without knowing where they are, or approximately a 0.001% chance. If you then factor trees, rocks, and other obstacles that would obstruct the path of your shot, the odds drop to virtually zero.

Any outdoor activity is inherently dangerous. Any activity involving guns is inherently dangerous. However, people think of hunting grounds as being packed full of camouflaged commandos with bullets whizzing by in every direction. On the contrary, it's rare that you'll see another hunter outside of the parking lot even on public hunting land.

Despite the very low odds, accidents can and do happen--almost always due to negligence and carelessness. I have a small first aid kit that I almost always forget to carry with me when I hunt. It's not for the unlikely event that I shoot someone else, it's for the much more likely event that I injure myself. It's mostly Band-Aids and ointment, but it does have a ketchup packet-sized container of QuikClot, which is a hemostatic agent. In other words, if something is bleeding, QuikClot will make it stop bleeding. You can get a similar kit for around $15, and it has everything you should need in the woods.

This brings up a good point.

Like diving - you really should not hunt alone. Having a second person with you - a second set of eyes - can help prevent such an accident. And having a second person handy to help get an injured person to the car will go along way to helpng the guy who got hurt.

Honestly - more hunters accidentally shoot them selves than get shot by another person. And a heck of allot more hunters get hurt using a knife than a gun. You would be much better off being both mentally and physically prepared to deal with a really deep bad knife wound than a gunshot.

I spent 11+ years as an Advanced EMT in the state of Alaska doing bush rescue. 1" on the human body is all the separates a survivable gunshot wound and an instantly fatal one. There are so many different do's and don't on treating such a wound - it is impossible to tell you what to do - from a sucking chest wound to a ripped artery in the leg....... its all different. That is why EMT's spend 110 hours in class and 40+ hours training in a busy Emergency Rooms before getting even basic certification.

Best to find a hunting partner(s). One that is a mechanic and one that is an EMT or ex military medic - you will never go wrong keeping people like this around you while hunting. (EMT's and medics do a better job of field dressing!)

That is exactly a fear of mine. We hunt Grouse. The deer archery season has been extended so long now that we have guys up in tree stands in camo in the same woods we are shooting into the air in. That is a REAL bad conflict. And wearing camo in brush so thick often you can not see your partner walking next to you.

I would tell you this, if it was me up in a tree, with Grouse hunters shooting into the air of course, I would start a good 50 yards from my tree and tie orange ribbons around the perimeter. May be even two or three layers deep of them. Just to let hunter know there is an archery hunter near.

I have walked into a guys hunt before. Surprised him and me. That is NOT a good thing. Very dangerous.

Additional : In most cases deer hunters do not go very deep into the woods, partially because they have to haul their kill out. While grouse hunters often venture long distances into areas of the woods people may not have been for a hundred years or more. That usually provides some separation, but, we HAVE run into some tougher archery hunters, who put in allot of effort also.

Edit : Yeah this has always really bothered me. A DANGEROUS situation. We do have many now, archery hunter who tie a white or orange ribbon up the tree above them. That does help as you can see that a distance, and does not detract from their hunt. As a hunter afield we do ALL have the responsibility to be safe, and safe also for others to be out in the woods, no matter what they enjoy out there. It is just a situation no matter how diligent both hunters are both parties are dangerous to the other, because of conflicting techniques. I sure do not want to be mistakenly stuck with an arrow as much as the guy in the tree does not want to be shot. I always pay very close attention, and all my woodsmanship skills to be safe and aware when I detect others in the woods. We all must practice good skills to be safe. Something as simple as tying a ribbon up the tree with you archery hunters, and during this time Grousers wearing orange, bright yellow, neon green what ever, to be visible in archery range, could save a disaster. DO NOT wear white of course during deer season, as that is a prevalent color of a deer, and that WILL catch the eye of any deer hunter.

• chris

That is why you always bring a shovel.

(UPI) A hunter and his partner were out in the fields for the annual deer season opener in S.H. Bill Smith accidentally shot his cousin Will Smith. Bill Smith a highly trained hunter knew that processing is critical after the shot so he took care and quickly processed his cousin and then brought his cousin into the S.H. hospital. Will Smith was declared DOA. Bill asked the emergency services why they could not do anything and they responded with, "well skinning and gutting is not a reversible process".

It is actually illegal NOT to aid a shot hunter if you are a hunter. Even though you were not involved. It is the one time you have to get involved as a spectator or be held partly responsible for not aiding. Good Samaritan laws protect you in this case. You do basic first aid. Stop the bleeding, elevate the wound if possible, Keep person warm, Call 911.

Well, you got some good answers...but I'm gonna relate ONE thing you never do. Pete and Joe went out hunting. Pete circled one way around a hill and Joe went the other. Long story short... Pete shot Joe. He called the hospital and they sent a ambulance. Pete took the truck and when he rushed into Emergency, he asked the Doctor..." Is Joe gonna be alright, Doc " ? " Well, Pete, it was a bit 'touch 'n go' when he was brought in but geez, you shouldn't have gutted him first".....

Source(s): ...If you shoot someone...don't gut them, ok ?
  • Well if you are asking about trouble with the law, you would have a lot of explaining to do. If you mean medically, you would be heading to the hospital. These accidents happen only once in a while due to most hunters know when they go in the woods, they make sure you don't make a mistake. You can not have accidents with guns.

You help them. I know people don't like screwing up but what if you got hit, and some hunter simply walked away knowing he hit you. This does happen. This is also why you need a partner while hunting! Even if you are not injured, you still might need help dragging an elk out of the woods.

Know how to stop the bleeding and do it. usually tour undershirt and direct pressure, a tourniquet as a last resort. Call 911 if you have signal. firing your gun 3 times is a universal distress signal to attract attention of anyone else around.

After that it is a matter of how badly shot the person is.

• C_F_45

First off, "NEVER shoot where you can't see".

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/safety/fathersAdvice...

Also included in the four basic rules as. "Be sure of your target, and what is behind it"

Second

If you follow the four basic rules on how to safely handle a firearm. No one would ever get "accidentally" shot.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/safety.htm

If someone is injured, and you're in the area. Then yes, you render aid.