My son needs some answers about the new health care law?

My 42 year old son lives with me and doesn't earn much money.This year he has earned less than $3000. Last year he earned nothing. I am having a very hard time getting into the Nebraska Health Insurance Market Place because it sucks and every

place I click on just wants to sell me insurance. I claimed my son on my 2012 taxes as a dependent so how would that effect any application he might have for Nebraska's version of the AFCA?

My gross income is $4950 from SS and $21,900 from an annuity for a total of $26850, My son had some developmental problems as a youth but not enough for SS disability so he fell through the cracks.

I guess my question(s) are- will my claiming him on my 2012 taxes

and my income have anything to do with him getting some kind of coverage in Nebraska, The county hospital is getting tired of him coming to the emergency room when he gets sick and those bills are in the thousands.

Favorite Answer

Your son should certainly qualify for Medicaid. You will likely qualify for a subsidy on an exchange. Go ask your local hospital, where he owes bills, for a charity care application. Ask, too, for help applying for yourself and your son for coverage. If they can't help, maybe the County Health Department can help you.

"I am having a very hard time getting into the Nebraska Health Insurance Market Place because it sucks and every place I click on just wants to sell me insurance. "

You are aware that the health exchange is specifically set up to sell insurance, right?

Your son could probably qualify for Medicaid. No, wait, you're in Nebraska. Your legislature decided not to accept the expansion of Medicaid--which would have cost the state NOTHING--so he might not.

I did a quick calculation on the Kaiser subsidy calculator, using your annuity income as your income amount (note that I'm not sure how annuities are counted in figuring out gross income, but used it in this case).

It shows that with an income at 141% of the poverty level, you qualify for a Silver plan, which has an annual cost of $3,812 per year--but that your subsidy would cover $3,049. So you're getting a full year of coverage for $763.

:... will my claiming him on my 2012 taxes

and my income have anything to do with him getting some kind of coverage in Nebraska,"

I am unfamiliar with the specifics being offered in Nebraska, but to my knowledge those factors should not affect his eligibility to purchase a policy. The reason for that is because he is over 26, so he could not be added to your policy. Unfortunately, Nebraska elected not to expand medicaid coverage, so that is not an option.