Greg asked in SportsCycling · 6 years ago

Decent entry level Cycling Shoes?

I'm on the fence on whether to buy clipless pedals and cycling shoes. Before I head to my LBS, I want to get an idea of some decent entry level cycling shoes and possibly pedals that go with it.

Favorite Answer

You will be happy with cycling shoes. I have three pairs and all happen to be Specialized brand but that doesn't mean much. Those are just one brand that my local shop sells and when I tried they fit me fine. So try and see.

About the 2-bolt 3-bolt systems, I recommend the 2-bolt with recessed soles. Don't get confused, while they are called mountain shoes, that is because the 2-bolt system was first used for mountain bikes. Today they make road shoes using that system. Yet it is difficult to change the mind set of people. One of the advantages of 2-bolt recessed shoes is that you don't need cleat covers to carry around. You also can walk around the bike with easy if you have a flat. You can also walk inside buildings without scratching the linoleum or hardwood and being asked to remove your shoes. In a recent ride to a winery, several club members hat to remove their shoes.

They make equally hard shoes with 2-bolt and 3-bolt systems. I have one older pair that is 3-bolt and a newer pair that is 2-bolt. Both ate constructed the same with a hardness of 5-6 so both help equally to transfer power to the pedal. The 2-bolt is 50 grams heavies because has more rubber on the bottom but that is not a big deal unless you are racing.

i have seen 2-bolt shoes without recessed soles and that is bad news. Remember, the idea is 2-bolt with recessed sole.

Road or mountain?

If you want to go SPD, then 'road' shoes come with a flat sole and exposed cleat, while 'mountain' shoes come with a profiled sole and recessed cleat. Not all pedals will work well with the recessed cleats, thoough.

Similar for pedals - 'road' pedals usually have _just_ the lock-in mechanism, while 'mountain' pedals usually have a cage around. Some of those pedals you can clip in from both sides, some only on one while you can use regular shoes on the other side, and with some the mechanism can kind of fold down into the cage if you want to ride with regular shoes.

Personally, I prefer the 'mountain' versions and single sided pedals. The (new) Shimano PD-T 780 look nice.

With shoes, fit is everything so something that works for me might not for you. So the recommendation is that you try as many pairs on as you can and buy the ones that fit you best even if you have to pay a few extra dollars. Good shoes can last for many years. I have shoes that are over 10 years old and still in good shape. Pedals will depend on your bike and how you ride. There are 2 basic types of cleats, 2 bolt and 3 bolt for off and on road respectively. You can use 2 bolt cleats for both on and off road riding, but 3 bolt cleats are only for on road. The shoes will have to be chosen for the type of pedal that works best for you, keep that in mind when buying the shoes

A clipless system will definitely make your pedaling more efficient, however, consider what type of riding you will be doing and ask yourself if you are you willing to carry an extra pair of shoes with you when you ride? Walking around in expensive and uncomfortable clipless shoes is not such a good idea. You may consider mini toe clips as an alternative. While they won't make your feet one with the bike they provide some improvement in pedaling efficiency, are easy to step out of in an emergency, and you can ride with your regular athletic shoes. I use both in different situations. If I'm going downtown and will be walking around on pavement when I get there I take my bike with the MTCs and if I going for an exercise ride out on the open road I like the clipless on my road bike. Jus something to consider. You can find descent clipless shoes for $70 to $120.

• PeteR

I recommend some sort of "mountain bike" shoe - which will have the cleats recessed into the shoe. It makes walking around when you get where you're going more comfortable and less damaging to the 7/11's floor.

You can get pedals online DIRT cheap. But the shoes I recommend you buy locally - so you can try them on. Can't get any cheaper than $21.50!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wellgo-Mountain-Bike-Clipl...

Shoes are another story. Expect to pay at least $90 to $110. I paid $100 for my Shimano M077 shoes.

http://media.chainreactioncycles.com//is/image/Cha...

Check out the Five Ten Maltese Falcon or Hellcat ( both are SPD types) and match it w/ the TIME Z clipless pedals ---all in blueskycling.com---

• John M

Get the shoes at the local bike shop so you can make sure they fit. Get the pedals online to save money. You want SPD shoes so you can walk around.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M520L-Sport-Pedal...

get SPD

you can walk in the shoes

road shoes, you can;t

wle

I've had these for a while, but they only come in my size. http://www.highsnobiety.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_pain...