Was it the Holy Spirit?

I went to church on Sunday & as usual the pastors asked if anybody wanted them to pray for them to come up front. I wanted a prayer so I walked up front. The pastor came to me & placed her hand oh my forehead & asked me if I had received Jesus as my Savoir & I said No, she asked me if I wanted to & I answered yes! She said ok repeat after me, I repeated after her & I remember by the last sentence I was already shaking, my body was numb & I could barely speak. After that she began to pray & my body feelt so intense & numb, tears started coming down & my body was trembling, I didn't fall but only cause I was trying so hard not to. My leg was twitching & my back was arching felt like my whole body wanted to twist & my hands got really stiff, I couldn't move them! My fingers were clamped together I couldn't bend them! I was crying so hard. I thought I had something inside of me. They said it was the Holy Spirit but I thought the Holy Spirit felt good. That almost hurt, I was so scared! :(

Favorite Answer

Cynthia, I had a similar experience quite a few years ago as I was "shopping around" for a church home. This was at a pentecostal church. These folks had billboard advertisng all across the city. Not much about the Lord in those ads. Just a big picture of the pastor whose name just happened to be Grace.

Well I went there one Sunday. It didn't feel like church at all. Bright lights, camera crews everywhere and what amounted to a huge stage production. I don't remember much about the worship service or the sermon. Just the altar call.

There must have been a couple dozen of us standing there. I was at the far right and Grace started on the other end. I figured it would be a while before she got to me so I just closed my eyes, tried to relax and pray.

It wasn't long before I could hear her. She must have been standing in front of the person to my left. Couldn't make out what she was saying so I just waited patiently.

The next thing I remember was an intense warmth directly in front of me. If anyone was speaking or praying I don't recall. Then someone touched my left shoulder and my legs just gave out. Strangest feeling ever. I knew my feet were on the floor. I knew my hips were between my arms. But it's as if I had no legs.

I collapsed right then and there. Straight down to the floor, landing on my butt. Rather embarrassing. Certainly not what I was expecting. I quickly scrambled to my feet only to discover that everyone else was flat on their backs, just like in those Benny Hinn TV shows. And when Grace was done she went back to center stage, laying eyes on me as she passed by. And I swear to this day I saw evil in those eyes. I have no doubt there was a powerful spirit in that church, but it definitely wasn't the Holy Spirit.

• susan

Could be. The Holy Spirit, in my experience, feels neither pleasant nor unpleasant, but just- noticeable. I'd guess you either felt the Holy Spirit, or your body had a strong reaction to your emotions, or a combination of the two.

Either way, you don't need to be scared. By the way, did the person ever get around to praying for your prayer request, too? Or did the who conversation get side tracked by you agreeing to receive Christ?

• Keith

In the Book of 1John 4(King James Version)v1:"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world,

v2:"Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:"

v3:"And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now is it in the world.'

v15:"Whosever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God."

v17:'Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in the world.

v18:"There is no fear in Love; but Perfect Love Casteth out fear: because Fear hath torment. He that Feareth is not made perfect in love." All that you have described points to the Holy Spirit. In the presence of God, "Every Knee shall bow.." You have a willing and accepting heart toward God. You are seeking Him in the right forum. So do not doubt. Remember in the book of Job, when the sons of God, went up before God, the Bible says "Satan went up also" He always puts himself where God's people are. Do not doubt.But it's wonderful you want to test the Spirit. You have to keep in the mode of worship and prayer. The Word of God or the Bible, has to be meditated upon. Although the Holy Spirit infilling is wonderful, for the individual, but around us are all other interferences. Sometimes we are going thru Sanctification or cleansing, and you are on the right track. One of the evidences of the Holy Spirit in the Initial Infilling is talking in tongues. This could come at the same time or after the infilling. Just continue Confessing Jesus as Lord and Saviour. Leave the rest to God. You are doing the right thing. Make sure you live a clean and holy life and just confess and ask forgiveness of God, when you don't. Peace Out and Blessings.

Source(s): The Bible KJV
  • Tom 1

What you underwent was the Christian equivalent of shaktipat. A transmission of divine energy blasted through the spiritual circuits of your body, resulting in a degree of purification plus physical side-effects. A fraction of your sins have been blown out of your system and you are now a correspondingly better vessel for the Spirit, who does indeed feel wonderful...in due course.

• Laura

Holy Spirit is Jehovah God's active force. . It is the force that helps Us accomplish things. what happened isut what the holy spirit does.

That just Sounds Scary!

No, it was your own imagination. It's the same reason that placebos make you feel better. Your brain convinces your body that it's supposed to feel a certain way, so it does. What you experienced was simple psychology, and a kind of minor, self-induced hysterical reaction to mental stimuli.

Hope that helps!

• Aaron

There are two kinds of spirits, from God or from evil. Your experience must line up with scripture, but I can say if you have never repented (realized you're a sinner in need of a savior) and trusted in Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection to pay your sin debt, then you are not saved and I don't know what could have happened to you. The fruits of the Holy Spirit are peace, love, joy, long suffering, etc. so I'd probably run away from that church as fact as I could if they didn't teach that man is sinners in need of a savior. Read Matthew 5,6,7 and Romans 8.

Resistance like that tells of a demon. Pray about it, and have some people deliver you if you feel the need.

MIght be some kind of nerve toxin applied to skin? Sounds weird.

sounds like some supernatural power was getting to you