Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Tips on becoming a hiphop producer?

I wan't to give a try at producing. I have always been into hip-hop , rap , r&b and everything else, but the instrumentals are always what I have loved, not even caring about lyricism. So I want to try producing but I don't know exactly where to start. What programs should I begin with , which are the best or the easiest to use? What equipment will I need? All help and tips are appreciated. Oh and I probably just want to make the beats for recreational use for now.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Zer0
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well man... all you need is a computer. Firstly, you should get a program like FL Studio ( http://www.image-line.com/downloads/flstudiodownlo... ) - it's what I use. I've been using it for years now as well. You can get a free demo, only thing is you can't save your projects to edit later, HOWEVER... you can export them into mp3's. So the drawback is once you're done the beat, you can't go back and edit it later unless you get the full version... of course you can crack it or whatever if you want. That is up to you. But since all you wanna do is recreational use, shouldn't really be a problem...

Anyway, so get the program, then I would suggest downloading sound kits ( http://beatproduction.net/category/sound-kits/page... ) and sound fonts (search 'em up)... just use YouTube to understand how to download the files to get 'em on FL Studio.

Once you got some more sounds, then just fool around. You AIN'T gunna make good beats for a while man... so don't get down on yourself when all your stuff sounds like garbage. Mine was terrible before as well... but now I can make some good stuff.

You don't need to know music theory or anything, but it would prolly help.

Beyond that, you should explore different types of production. For example, I like making melodies... some people don't bother with melodies. They just use chords and find a sample... but I like to use melodies, and sound loops as well.

• 8 years ago

Begin with GarageBand it's cheap and if you like it and are doing good, get fruity loops or datpiff I use fruity loops. Find inspiration then a drum beat and work around that. 2 really helpful tips would be, don't listen to others accept opinions but don't take it. Do you. And last piece off advice would be, don't go over the top, keep it simple.

Oh and remember to put them on YouTube or/and soundcloud.

I've been producing for almost 3 years now. I'm 14

Check out some off my beats. https://soundcloud.com/cammiedonald

• 7 years ago

When I started, I made a mix of my favorite beats & studied them - what I liked about them, what kind of sounds were used in them, the changes in the verse, chorus & intro sections; etc. and messed around with music software (mostly FL Studio and a couple older programs) until I found my own style. FL Studio is pretty easy to learn and there are a ton of free and paid tutorials out there as well as tons of samples to download and use.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I'd be willing to bet the majority of them got their big break through word of mouth/connections because you don't need formal musical training to sample someone else's work.

Several music apps can be downloaded for free now, and there are tons of how-to YouTube videos to watch.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Beginners have to love SonicProducer it is so easy to use and they have tons of easy to follow tutorials. Find out more here: http://sonicproducer.org/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.