Does anyone know SSD benefits in California?

This morning my friend asked me a question that I wasn't able to answer her. So, I remembered Answers and thought I would ask. She's permanently disabled and unable to work. She has a 13yr. old and he also gets a monthly check from social security. She was wondering when he turns 18 and no longer will be receiving his check does that money get added to her check amount? I'm not sure if it differs from the state she lives in, but I'll include it anyways. Thanks for the help.

• Judith
    Best Answer

It doesn't matter what state she lives in. Social Security is a federal agency and it is the same throughout the nation.

Her benefit will remain the same. Benefits to children are IN ADDITION TO the benefit the disabled person gets. When the child is no longer entitled then that benefit ends. It is not added to her benefit.

The child will be entitled to benefits once he reaches age 18 IF he is a full-time high school student. Those benefits end when he graduates or reaches age 19 and two months - whichever comes first. If he isn't a full-time student when he reaches age 18 his benefit ends then.

Source(s): I was a social security claims rep for 32 years.
  • Flower

If the child is disabled he will continue to get a disability check after age 18. If the check is because the mother is on disability, that ends when the child turns 18. That extra benefit is due to the parent's disabiity. No it ends when child turns 18, at which time he should get a job. These are SSI benefits, not SSD.

No. That extra money is for the child. Since that child will no longer be a child, the money for that child will no longer be given. But if this person is still disabled it becomes their benefit.

If it is SSID - If he is permanently disabled no he will not loose his disability benefits. My friend has a def son born def, he has received Disabality all of his life, he is now 32.