Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 6 years ago

Help please?? I need advice.?

I am a 19 year old student in college. I am not doing very well right now in college. I have a 2.8 GPA at this time and my parents are not happy at all. I just dropped a class because of my fear of failing and now my parents are extremely angry. I don't know what to do, I love music and I have written around 60 songs so far. Everyone loves them, but my parents don't understand that this is my true dream. Sometimes I feel extremely sad. I don't know what to do. I constantly have to hear that I never make them happy from them and that I never try hard enough. In most of my songs I write based on what is happening to me. People constantly ask me why they are so sad, but it's because I'm really depressed inside about this.School is tough and has always been tough for me. It's hard for me to concentrate 100% on it. It's really hard right now for me and I really need advice. Please help me?

P.S. for further evaluation this is one of my songs that I've written: https://soundcloud.com/terri-boyle

and this is a cover song by me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezhNUwZtp-Q

Youtube thumbnail

Favorite Answer

School is tough. The music business in tougher. If you quit because you fear failing, you will quit the minute someone says anything negative (even if the criticism is valid and may help you develop as an artist). However, before you go asking strangers on Yahoo what they think of your music, (which is like telling the trolls to come feast on your bleeding soul), go to any link on Yahoo featuring an artist you know is enormously talented and successful and READ THE COMMENTS. Don't put yourself in that position right away.

If you are at college with a music department, why don't you mosey over there and have the music faculty take a look at your work and see what they think? You might also want to look around your college town coffee shops and bars and see if any of them have an open mic night. I listened briefly to your original song, and I'm not sure how you would set up the performance since most open mic nights are more or less acoustic (though there are often pianos on hands and an amplifier).

Your music style is not my sort of thing so I can't judge fairly other than it sound very much like a lot of the popular music these days. I do believe if you performed this music at a local spot (maybe a school talent show) in front of your peer group, you'd really wow them.

(I'm sorry, I just don't like all that autotune, electronica stuff--I'm sure Rihanna and the Black-Eyed Peas are going to be devasted by my opinion). I do believe you have some talent, but what will hold you back is your wiliness to give up if things are hard. Another hurdle is your depression.

This is an actual condition you know. At the risk you'll take it wrongly and pick my answer (or even try to report me) just to tell me I'm mean and stupid, please also see if your school has any free counseling available for their students. You might not need meds, but having a neutral party to talk to can help. Sometimes just "sounding out" your ideas to someone you don't fear will judge you can help you make your own decisions.

It'll be easy to ignore that last bit of advice because there will be other young people who will be trying o be "nice" and will reinforce your believe that dreams will come true if you want it enough. "A Dream is Wish Your Heart Makes, When You're Fast Asleep" (that's from some Disney song).

You have to wake up and turn your wishes and hopes into some positive, real action and be willing to suffer some real ego-crushing heartache on the way and still be able to bounce back. Otherwise show business at any level will grind you like a woodchopper and spit you out as a pile of sawdust.

I truly wish you good luck. Please do try to find ways to continue your music and share it with others. You don't have to drop out of school either. Things are rarely all one way or another. There can be balance. Most of the professional musicians I know have regular jobs in between gigs. Very few people became super famous and millionaires.

In addition to singing, do some research into what you need to do to have a viable career in songwriting. Start by heading to the music department. They can give you some tips on what websites to check out for information and what classes you should be taking.

I'm Pretty Smart For My Age So I'll Give This My Best Shot.Parents I know Sometimes it may seem like they hate everything u do but I promise they only want what's best for you,and sometimes they can see mistakes or obstacles that you can and they wanna make sure you don't make any mistakes.What They Might not understand is that being young and still growing ur gonna have to follow ur passions even if they don't always end well.i for one applaud you for being brave enough to believe in yourself,but another obstacle is getting other people to believe in you to and even if they don't you still follow ur heart.now grade wise I know it seems hard but it's not just study and by study I don't mean stare a the pages of a book for an hour I mean like make it fun if u don't understand something make it a song,what ever works best for you.if you show that your serious about school first and carrier second the maybe your parents will try seeing your side of things.

I was recently, discovered and have been called one of the greatest voices of my generation, quite a few times. Coming from a person that has been called a talent of this caliber, I will say that you have by far one of the greatest voices I've heard of this generation (we're of the same generation). I think you could have great success, with your tone being as brilliant as it is, and you're voice being light but carrying resonance. So agile and pretty, and though such a light and sunshine like tone, there is a darkness and soul to it. One of the best baby, you're one of the best. Just be smart in your career decision's, and marketing. You want to go as far and high as you can go, and you have the potential for all time success. I also wouldn't suggest quitting school, keep going, never stop until you're finished. But if you feel it isn't for you, then don't fret, it's not for everybody.

Source(s): Personal Experiance

You rock! You're voice is great,but i'm not a firm believer on quieting school. Personally i would try to take classes you truly love like music theory or anything that interest you.

Have your parents even heard you sing? You have a beautiful voice and maybe they need to hear that! There are many opportunities career-wise for a natural born singer like yourself and maybe you need to present them with a plan for your life related to that.