Court house marriage then reception?

I'm not really into the ceremony thing so we thought we would just get married officially at the courthouse then a reception later that night. What do you think? What did you do?

Etiquette says this is fine (contrary to what someone claimed in an earlier answer). If the reception is held on the same day, and the couple wants a private ceremony, it's always been ok to do this. That's because the reception is mainly to thank your guests, but it can also be used to "receive" the couple for the first time. So whoever said you can throw a wedding reception weeks later is completely wrong. That's just a married couple throwing a party.

Whether or not it's a good idea is a separate question. For most guests, the significant part of the wedding is the ceremony and the "fun" part is the reception. And this is why most weddings follow that plan. So if you're unsure, talk to those closest to you and see what they say.

• BBG

I think that's just fine as long as everyone who is invited to the reception is also invited to the ceremony.

You do know what a reception actually is, right? It is an "after-party" for an event. It is how the host and guests of honor "receive" the guests who attended the event.

It is horribly rude to invite someone to a reception for an event from which they were excluded - particularly an event where gift-giving is traditional.

You might as well say, "You weren't important enough to attend the ceremony so we excluded you. But I guess you can come have a piece of cake to ensure that I get my gift."

Invite people to both or don't invite at all.

ETA: There is NOTHING wrong with having a wedding party - on a different day than the ceremony - if you want a SMALL ceremony and larger celebration. Keep in mind that wedding celebrations are NOT receptions. There is no white dress, bouquet toss, first dance or gift registry. It's just a fun party to celebrate that you got married.

I totally understand not wanting a big ceremony. If I were you I would strongly consider the wedding party idea and just skip a reception altogether. That way you won't be offending anyone by inviting them to a reception for an event they were not allowed to attend.

• salzar

Courthouse Wedding Reception

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Court house marriage then reception?

Source(s): court house marriage reception: https://biturl.im/9Zuov
  • ?

Are you going to invite everyone to the courthouse? You might be surprised at how offended and hurt a lot of people get when they are not invited to witness the ceremony. My little brother got married in his religion's temple a couple of years ago. Only members of his church were allowed inside therefore I was not able to be there for the ceremony. Now I know this is a different situation, he did not choose to exclude me or our other family and friends. But I'll tell ya, I was not expecting to be upset about it but when the day came I was! It was very bitter sweet attending their reception as I felt I couldnt not fully partake in celebrating their marriage with them because I had been excluded from witnessing it. Just something to think about.

My brother has been married 3 times, the first two were big weddings, the 3rd was at the court house and then lunch with just the immediate family at a restaurant. It was the best wedding he had and they are still married for 20 years, what does that tell you? I think it's a great idea, it's inexpensive and low key and very intimate, go for it.

Personally, I would have no problem with this. However, a lot of people might.

Have you considered having a JP come to the reception hall and perform a quick ceremony? Then immediately start the reception. This might be a nice compromise.

@krissylyn: I once knew a girl who had the town mayor come to her reception venue and perform the ceremony.

I think you should get married at the reception venue. Because getting married in front of relatives is an awesome experience and it'll give you an emotional touch.

If that's what you want, that's fine. I've been to several such celebrations and wasn't offended by not being invited to the ceremony. I think the most important thing you have to decide is if you're going to regret your decisions. Life is too short for regrets.

P.S. No JOP or judge is going to come to your venue.

Although many people would like to come to the ceremony and just throwing out the window the etiquette rule that guests invited to wedding are invited to reception, I say go with it, if anyone gets offended, they can stay at home.