If you go back to school to get a second bachelor's degree, do you need to retake GE classes?

I just finished school earlier this year with a degree in Communications w/ and emphasis in Entertainment Marketing (looking to get in to the music or sports industries on the marketing side). I am already employed as a marketing analyst and social media strategy manager at a small firm, making not very good money. I am flirting with the idea of getting a degree in something complete different (some sort of engineering. I excelled in math and physics in high school).

My question is, if I go get a bachelors degree in Engineering, would I still have to take 120 units, the amount required for my COMM degree over 4 years, or would I just have to take beginner, intermediate, and major courses? (i.e. Engineering 101, 201, 301, then Upper-Div courses).

Has anyone every done this? I understand this may sound like a stupid question, but I am failing to understand why a second bachelor's would require a ton of units of "filler" or "bullshit" classes.

I took advanced calculus in high school as well as advanced physics. passed with flying colors and haven't had to take any math since.

Favorite Answer

No. If you already have a bachelors and enter another uni as a second degree student, your core/GE classes will be waived. You'll only need to take the classes required for your major.

However, engineering tends to be a packed major, and sequential. You may find it takes you three years (or longer) to complete, depending on where you are in math right now. I mean, if you've already taken calc 1, and can jump right into calc 2, you're in decent shape, and it may only take you three years, 2.5 if you can get summer classes. But if you're in, say... to exaggerate, basic math, then you've got years and years to go.

As Cicero mentioned, there are a few (a very few) MS in engineering programs that do accept people who do not have a BS in engineering. NYU Poly is one example. But you'd need to take certain engineering "bridge courses", including calc 1, 2, 3, and often linear algebra, sometimes differential equations, sometimes probability and stats (for engineers, not for the social sciences) in order to apply to the MS program. If you find MS programs that seem to allow in students who don't have an engineering background, talk to them about what bridge classes you must take in order to apply. You may even find some that will admit you, and let you take the bridge classes at their undergrad uni, before you join their MS program.

• Cicero

No, you shouldn't have to take humanities, social sciences, etc for GE. However, many engineering programs require upwards of 80 semester units in the major, so you're still looking at three years.

Consider checking out some Master's Programs that are geared toward those wanting to change careers. Or an engineering school that only does the junior and senior years.

Good luck!

• Sharon

Why get a second bachelor's? You could instead get your Master's degree for about the same amount of study. Or get a minor. Especially since Communications is so broad, a minor will help show focus.