Can you eat marinade with raw chicken?

I marinaded some raw chicken with bell peppers and onions and bbq sauce overnight in the fridge. I used the crockpot (slow cooker) to cook it today on the low setting for about 8-1- hours. I am concerned that the peppers and onions have absorbed the juices from the raw chicken and may not be safe to eat. Slow cookers don't cook with high temperature, so I don't know if all the bacteria will be killed.

My wife is pregnant and I would hate for her to get sick. Should I toss the peppers and onions or are they also safe to eat?

Update:

*8-10 hours

Update 2:

I cooked the marinade (including onions and peppers) with the chicken in the crockpot

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

you cooked the marinade with the chicken?

IF the chicken is safe the peppers and onions that cooked with it certainly are safe.

Do the juices in the crock pot boil?? Most all do. That is 212 degrees....way hotter than it needs to be to kill salmonella.

ALL crock pots cook plenty hot enough to kill salmonella...if the chicken registers 165 degrees, salmonella is killed, the chicken is cooked and your veggies are safe.

EDIT: People, he cooked the pepper and onion marinade along with the chicken in the crock pot...of course they are then safe...as is the chicken...its COOKED!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

As long as the marinade is cooked, it is safe to eat

H'man

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Have you tried Eating for Energy (120 raw food diet recipes) system? Go here : http://stayeatingraw.com/Access . This might completely guide everyone!

• 7 years ago

Not all bacteria is killed by bacteria and not all chicken contains salmonella or other bacteria. Chances are goof that the chicken and veggies are safe to eat. However, I don't think I would chance a pregnant women eating this chicken. Toss it and order Pizza.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Everything in the pot is safe to eat, if anything is. It's all cooked, if it's cooked/done.

• 7 years ago

toss the peppers and onions. when in doubt be safe.

• 7 years ago

marinades should be discarded in any case.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.