Downton Abbey: Who "downstairs" has which accent or dialect?

I got my uni degree in Linguistics. However, as an American, I usually have a pretty hard time telling where specifically in GB people are from when they speak. I thought of it again recently when watching Downton Abbey, because there are a lot of dialect and speech differences even though they're all... show more I got my uni degree in Linguistics. However, as an American, I usually have a pretty hard time telling where specifically in GB people are from when they speak.

I thought of it again recently when watching Downton Abbey, because there are a lot of dialect and speech differences even though they're all supposed to be born and raised in Yorkshire. Why? What is a Yorkshire accent nowadays? Why do Alfred and Daisy sound so different from, say, Thomas Barrow and Jimmy?

Can you tell where the downstairs cast is from by how they speak? Who is from where in the UK if you can tell, and do they change it to sound more working class? Money and social class seems to matter more in Britain when it comes to how people learn to speak.

Finally, is there a dialect or accent that gets joked about or maligned? It seems to be Liverpool?
1 answer 1