Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 6 years ago

Rat as a service animal?

I'm doing a project for a college class and I want to train a rat to be a service animal.

I want to train her to help people with mental disabilities like depression and anxiety.

I'm just looking for some feed back on what other people think about this idea.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Ted K
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Rats are smart, easily trained, and can be very sweet and affectionate, especially if you start when they are young and maintain daily contact throughout their lives. However, having worked with them professionally as a physiologist and having had them as pets, I see several difficulties: 1) trained or not, both males and females tend to spray pee around to mark their territory, 2) they will frequently chew on electric cords, and 3) they live at most, 2-3 years.

Rats are social animals, so if you have one it's a good idea to have at least a second, so it'll have a companion.

• 6 years ago

I think thats a great idea personally. I know that some rats sniff out bombs, sense seizures, and can help with depression but they obviously dont get enough recognition lol. I think it would be cool if u got rats and trained them to be on a leash and interact with peopl

Source(s): Rat owner
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.