what does the Confederate flag symbolize or mean to you?

I honestly want to know your answer. So tell me what your understanding of what it symbolize.

• Bret
    Favorite Answer

Which Confederate flag? There were numerous types. I will assume you mean the "Stars and Bars," or red background, blue "X" with white stars. It means to me what it really symbolizes - a battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia representing the thirteen states of the Confederate States of America. That is what it meant then, and even as an artifact, that is what it should mean now.

I want everyone to take a look at the linked flag below. What do you feel when you view it? Does it represent racism and slavery? Oppression? Violence and war? No? Why not? If that is how you feel about the Stars and Bars, then that is how you should also feel about the Bonnie Blue Flag, as it was an exceedingly popular, unofficial flag of the Confederacy representing the Republic of West Florida. Fly it above the capital building in Tallahassee and no one, except maybe the very scholarly, would protest. Fly the Stars and Bars and you'd have Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and probably the president himself condemning the act and wallowing in the publicity.

Something else this flag represents to me is the hundreds of thousands of Confederate soldiers and civilians that fought, suffered, and died during this Civil War, which was the bloodiest and most terrible conflict in our nation's history. I would expect these people to be memorialized, but not with the flag of their enemy.

The Confederate states of America slag what does it mean to you everyone things instantly of the Confederate battle flag when you think of the Confederate states of America that is not true the Confederate states of America's battle flag is instantly a symbol of the Civil War and the remaining people who believe the Civil War was wrong we misuse this like today it's on clothes hats and everything i'm to symbolize rednecks backwoods people and Southerners who are truly not dumb Southerners the first true flag of the Confederacy of the United States was one one red white and blue with stars circled symbolizing the original 13 colonies of the united states of America The second flag many people think of the Confederate battle flag is the flag of the Confederate states of America not true that was used only on the battlefield by the Virginia northern army of Virginia and other regiments below that example example Georgia remove there's from their flag replaced it with a confederate stars h

Source(s): My opinion

well we Know the Civil war had Nothing to do with slavery so the Confederate flag i fly over My Garage is a Protest against to much government

Just like The civil war was States Rights

a statement from the Liar Lincoln proves this he said I will allow you to keep your slaves until 1900 if you stay in the Union

So the Flag represents National Pride and a Protest against Government the Federal Government

A sign of racism and slavery, that's what it means to me.

The stars on the flag represent the States that joined the Confederation.

I grew up in the South, and I used to think of it as being a "rebel" thing, like no one can tell that person what to do.

Now I am older, and I've been reading history for a while. I see the people who cling to this as idiots. Mississippi has the lowest education, the most obesity, the worst health care, and they cling to the stars and bars. That's typical.

Rebellion against the US of A, a hankering for "the good ole days" when Slavery was a State Rights Issue, now mostly used as a symbol of racism and bigotry a defiance against those who would seek to make the Federal Government a scape goat for all that is perceived as wrong with the US of A.

Peace///////////////////////]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

The armies of the Confederacy and their battles.

... Only a very few of those who fought ever owned slaves; and the flag represents to me the spirit of "the lost cause" which was the Southern effort.

• tuffy

The Confederate battle flag is considered racist. The state(s) flag are reminders of a time when Southern manners were as important as "life" its self.

Source(s): The Diary of Mary Chestnut

The Dukes of Hazzard.

A plutocratic military dictatorship founded by traitorous slaveowners who were upset that they lost an election that only threatened their ability to take their slaves wherever they wanted.