is there any presidence in having a service animal off the leash regardless of leash law?

Keep in mind I am un wheelchair and unable to reach the gate to the dog park.

Favorite Answer

"Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls."

Pretty much if you get in any kind of trouble for breaking a leash law then you will have to prove that you are incapable of using some type of leash for the dog. If you are capable of using a leash/harness then you have to follow the law like everyone else.

If holding the leash makes it difficult to do something is there a way to hook it to your wheelchair? For me my wheelchair arms can unhook and I could lock my dog's leash to one of the arms. If not, are there usually people around that can open the gate for you?

My concern wouldn't be your dog, but the fact that you could have trouble using the gate in a timely manner so as not to let other dogs out.

I *never* use dog parks, because of the lack of control you inherently have over which dogs are there. THis isn't about your needing to adjust your use of the facility, but whether or not you should be there at all, with *any* dog.

Given how valuable your dog is to you, I would think it would be a far better idea to arrange some playdates with one or two other safe dogs that are compatible with your dog, in a private space. Taking a service dog to a dog park is like parking your chair van in the middle of a demolition derby. The more control you have over a situation, the safer everyone is. I'm all for engineering things so everyone can use them - I have friends but in this case, I wouldn't go there with my own dogs - or my friends with disabilities and theirs.

Depends on where you are, but likely no. Most people will try to make some allowances for a service dog if it's working. However if you are just excersising the dog a possible solution would be a long retractable, flexy leash that would allow the dog room to roam a bit but still be properly leashed.

No

Get a longer leash. In theory you could try to claim your animal was under voice control, but this defense rarely works in most cities. So stop using your disability as an excuse for why you should flout the law.