Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

How to know my dog is close to labor?

Okay I've asked 2 questions so far and in both I've been called a backyard breeder. For one the mating was planned. I read up on everything I needed along with asked people I know who have had dogs give birth several times. This is my dogs second time being a mom but my first time goi g through this and need help.

Please no bad comments about me just help me figure this out.

She has had discharge since Sunday and for the past day or two just started panting and shivering on and off. When she discharges she licks herself for a good minute or two. Then has the occasional whine. Barely eating but has been drinking water line crazy along with vomiting when she gets food. Puppies are active. Could she be having them soon? Her due date is today or in a day or two. She got tied up towards the end of August so I'm sure she'll have them soon but need some advice to be sure.

Please just help a first time pregnant dog owner with this being the dogs second litter.

Favorite Answer

She sounds asthough she may be close. My dog on the day of birth went out of the way in my room which I kept nice and dark for her.

She was quite still layed on her side and panting a lot. Be sure that once she does go in to labor you get some vanilla ice cream to keep her calcium levels up between pups this realy helped my girl...she was off her food too.

My girl gave birth on her due date most dogs are 2 days before, on time or 2 days after. So my advice would be.....be prepared it sounds asthough she will be ready soon.

Basically you've answered your own questions. You are a BYB. Why didn't you spay the ***** after the first breeding because once again you are the aforementioned BYB. I hope you will spay her this time. If you weren't the aforementioned, you wouldn't be asking these questions as you would have a breed mentor that is guiding you prior to breeding, during pregnancy and labor and delivery. Then there is the vet that is providing the prenatal care, and is on call for emergencies, provides postnatal care and pups health check within 24 hours after birth. Now there's someone you could ask!

Don't ever breed again unless you've done years of research.

I have ANSWERED your previous two questions, giving you the benefit of all the experience I've gained over the years........ please READ, and act as you feel best.

For the record, people who come here asking basic questions (when they should be using a vet in any case) risk being called BYBs. For the simple reason people who breed their bitches have 2 months to read up, find a mentor, and get ready for what they have started. For the most part, people who don't do this, ARE about to become a BYB.

And further, using terms like getting 'tied up' doesn't fill me with confidence about what's going on here. Was your b itch tested for all the problems in her breed (assuming she is a breed). You say she's had one litter already - so where is the person who bred her before ..... and was it necessary for you to take another litter from her. And so on.

But back to your b itch - get the professional help you so clearly need. Before this all ends in disaster.

• BRENNY

Her temp will get down to mid ninetys and she will begin to pant steadily....she may even let you know when shes ready..Best of luck.

Anyday now

Source(s): My boxer did then same thing she start panting than the next day gave birth