Which bible to choose?

I'm 23 years old and want to get back into religion. I grew up in a strict Catholic family where I went to church every single week. I mean EVERY single week, sometimes multiple times a week if it was a holy day. I went to Catholic school from 2nd grade to 6th grade. I had never liked going to church, even as a kid. It was always boring and especially when I got into high school, it interrupted my oh so important social life. When I turned 18 one of my birthday gifts was that I didn't have to go to church anymore. So I didn't go after that except for Christmas and Easter with my family. So as you can imagine, since I was a child I have been totally turned off by religion. Catholicism in particular because of it's primitive literature, difficult reading, and boring masses. Recently, I've decided to go back to it. Not that I ever stopped believing there was a God, I just haven't prayed, read the bible, or anything holy in 5 years. I considered myself Agnostic for awhile.

I ran out of room to write...Thank you so far for all your answers. I have been confirmed, baptized, had my first Reconciliation, and first Communion. I consider myself knowledgeable about the religion, not to the extent of my ever faithful mother, but I understand it.

Also, I don't understand all the different "versions." What is the King James Version? Why is it good? What are sectarian translations? What is NASB?

Why are there so many different choices if they're all the same stories? Or are they the same stories?

I promise I'm not trying to attack anyone, I'm literally just lost in the means of choosing a good bible and religion.

Favorite Answer

King James commissioned the King James Bible, which is a translation from the oldest copies of the originals that those working on the project had access to at the time. For this reason, and because the King James Bible has remained unchanged and is perhaps the one version with the largest number in print, many people will only trust the King James Bible, fearing that a more modern translation may have skewed the meaning in some ingenuous way.

Almost all the translations have been from the original languages, and if there is a "translation of a translation" I don't know about it, but I have heard anti-theists attacking the Bible claim that so much, I wouldn't doubt that there may be one example somewhere in history of that happening.

In any case, there are forewords in many of the modern translations that detail all the sources used and the history of the effort to make that particular translation.

I have found it helps my own understanding to read several different translations and compare the different words used if any to get a better understanding of what the original word meant. If I was going to make a career out of it, I would endeavor to learn the original languages and read the Bible in a copy of the original texts. Just have a parallel Bible is sufficient. But, I extensively use the free parallel Bible online: Bible.cc

It also has commentaries in parallel.

I love the comment that recommends the NKJV and then adds "avoid sectarian translations...." The original KJV was itself a "sectarian translation."

Don't make the mistake of assuming that somewhere out there, you'll find the One Entirely Correct Bible. God did not grace us with that kind of certainty -- that isn't his way, and in my opinion, it's vain thinking to assume that he did -- and even vainer to assume that any of us know which of the many English editions is the One; we don't even know which of many ancient Greek and Hebrew manuscripts are the Ones. I recommend reading multiple translations side-by-side. For one thing, you'll see that these different editions aren't as different as people like to pretend. If you go to a fair-sized bookstore, you can probably find and browse a Zondervan with side-by-side multiple editions.

• J.

Before rejecting Catholicism, it would be beneficial to understand what the Catholic Church teaches. If you have not been confirmed, R.I.C.A class would be the best starting point.

Because you are an adult, an adult presentation of your family's faith would be preferable. This is a subject that you need to talk with your parish priest usually in confession or his office.

Source(s): Catechism of the Catholic Church; Catholic Study Bible;
  • Kjw47

I have read a few different translations--the trinity translations have many errors that contradict Jesus' truths and fit Catholicism council false truths. And they tried to totally remove Gods personal name. The newest kjv has put Gods personal name back,( but still contains the errors) the nwt is the best I have read.

i like the king james bible, i like the inspired version and i think the book of mormon is good for instruction in righteousness but i really like the doctrine and covenants.

http://chirb.it/2x0Mnv

thats where we get dramatized church history from and the doctrines discussed that believers do not find solely in the bible.

I don't recommend "religion" .. that is soooo separate from what God wants.

If you don't want a relationship with our Saviour, Jesus, the rest is vanity.

I don't recommend the NASB....I used one for toilet paper and it was kinda scratchy! I'm gonna try a QJV ( Queen james version...he was gay, don'tcha know) next time.