Front entry/foyer DIY ideas?

In our old apartment, we had one of those "over the door" coat hanger things and (as odd as this sounds) one of those over the toilet shelves for stuff we needed to grab while on our way out the door I put little shelves underneath for our shoes. It always looked pretty nice. Our new apartment has a... show more In our old apartment, we had one of those "over the door" coat hanger things and (as odd as this sounds) one of those over the toilet shelves for stuff we needed to grab while on our way out the door I put little shelves underneath for our shoes. It always looked pretty nice. Our new apartment has a windowed door (can't really use the over the door thing for coats), and I need to actually use the over the toilet thing in the bathroom for storage now. I don't have the budget at the moment for anything new, but I still want a nice setup near the door to keep coats and shoes handy. What I have available is a rolling garment rack for coats and the shoe rack that was in our bedroom that can go underneath. While functional, it isn't very attractive. The shoe rack is ok, it's kind of a dark wood finish with chrome bars, but the garment rack just looks cheap (black plastic and chrome). I can't hang anything behind the setup, as there is a large window right there. Any ideas how to make the area look a little nicer like we didn't just stick stuff from the bedroom closet in our living room? I was thinking a sewing project of some kind since I already have tons of fabrics in all kinds of prints/colors but it just don't know what....

P.S. we have a kind of tropical/modern theme going. A lot of turquoise, lime green and orange accents, and our furniture is all white.
Update: The top half of the door is a rather thin window, so I don't want to hang anything on the door and possibly break the glass, plus there's a HUGE window right next to the door (can't hang anything there either). What I want to decorate is the garment rack itself. It's really utilitarian, and just... show more The top half of the door is a rather thin window, so I don't want to hang anything on the door and possibly break the glass, plus there's a HUGE window right next to the door (can't hang anything there either). What I want to decorate is the garment rack itself. It's really utilitarian, and just doesn't match anything else we have. but how does one decorate a plastic and metal garment rack lol?